DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Graphics Card Debate: GTX 260 or GTX 275? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/236845-graphics-card-debate-gtx-260-gtx-275-a.html)

Jack Zhang June 5th, 2009 11:09 PM

Graphics Card Debate: GTX 260 or GTX 275?

I'm about to upgrade my 9600GT to a new card to prepare for newer games and future GPU video transcoding apps and getting faster Folding @ Home speeds.

I'm on a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Overclocked to 3.2Ghz with a Corsair HX520 520W 40A power supply.

I'm split between two video cards: The Nvidia GTX 260 216 core 55nm edition and the Nvidia GTX 275

I've read that the price difference and the marginal increase in performance makes the GTX 275 not worth the money and that the GTX 260 is better bang for your buck. But also keep in mind my power supply and whether if I actually got a GTX 275. Could I be able to run Folding @ Home and SETI @ Home at the same time without overloading?

I need this settled, what are this community's takes on these 2 graphics cards and which should I choose for the upgrade? (This would be my final upgrade for my current Core 2 Quad editing/gaming rig. My next rig will be Core i7 based.)

Jack Zhang June 6th, 2009 12:57 PM

No one? No advice to give?

Graham Hickling June 6th, 2009 07:34 PM

I have a 9600GT presently, and it seems to be about the fastest Nvidia card available with passive cooling. I read a few posts on Newegg about GTX260s with noisy fans, and that was enough to give me an excuse not to upgrade further for the time being ...

Jack Zhang June 6th, 2009 11:21 PM

I'm happy with my 9600GT (though it does have a fan and it's a 65nm version), until I game with a game abbreviated as L4D or attempt to use the GeForce 3D vision stuff with 3D games (lower than the optimal 120fps needed for 3D shutter glasses gaming). I also want to future-proof my rig for at least another year or more before I move on to my Core i7 rig.

Subconsciously, it's mostly to get higher PPD in Folding @ Home.

Going downstairs to my local comp shop, they recommended the GTX 260 on the two factors of power and budget. And that I'd get a new card in a year or so.

Robert M Wright June 10th, 2009 08:55 AM

I sure wouldn't buy a video card for future transcoding apps. Wait until there is actually an app out there that you want to use, and see what the requirements are (guessing is a good way to get burned). Also, video card prices (like most computer hardware) are constantly dropping quickly. It's almost always a big waste of money to buy hardware "for the future".

Harm Millaard June 10th, 2009 09:53 AM

The Future is exactly like the Past, only far more expensive.

Jack Zhang June 20th, 2009 04:12 PM

I actually changed minds and am gonna wait until the price gets lower for the 275 since I heard the 260 chips are binned as lower cause there's faults preventing it from going up to spec with the higher end cards.

And my budget could allow for more expensive cards around the time I buy the card (mid-July).