DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Video quality capturing with Matrox RTX vs common Firewire? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/237819-video-quality-capturing-matrox-rtx-vs-common-firewire.html)

Yasir Hasby June 23rd, 2009 03:55 AM

Video quality capturing with Matrox RTX vs common Firewire?

Hello..
I need and explanation for capturing my dv tape to edited with my sony vegas 7.
My friend told me that capturing video with Matrox card RTX series get better quality video than capturing with common firewire card.
But some other said no different. Matrox card is expensive for me, but if it does better quality capturing I have to save money to get it.
Other way how to achieve great video quality if I just using firewire edit and rendered with vegas 7. is there other software to help it?
My project is mostly wedding video.
thx before..

Peter Manojlovic June 23rd, 2009 07:42 AM

For your workflow, there is no such thing as capture quality...
You're simply doing a digital transfer of information from your DV tape to the computer..

As far as Matrox is concerned, it's simply a passthrough device that goes into your firewire card anyways...Your friend is incorrect, since it's the exact same hardware being used...

The Matrox has a great looking codec for visual playback on the timeline and for export..
Determine your needs, and then decide pn the correct Matrox card..

You can find them coming down in price if you keep your eyes open for used items...
Remember, they've got an SD version, and an LE physhical version that removes DVI ouput to save you some money...

Good luck!!!

Harm Millaard June 23rd, 2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yasir Hasby (Post 1162235)
Hello..
I need and explanation for capturing my dv tape to edited with my sony vegas 7.
My friend told me that capturing video with Matrox card RTX series get better quality video than capturing with common firewire card.
But some other said no different. Matrox card is expensive for me, but if it does better quality capturing I have to save money to get it.
Other way how to achieve great video quality if I just using firewire edit and rendered with vegas 7. is there other software to help it?
My project is mostly wedding video.
thx before..

He is just using that as an argument to get top-dollars from you when he can get rid of the blasted Matrox. Matrox is nothing but trouble and not worth the investment. Save yourself the trouble and instead invest the money saved in a better PC. You will have far lesser headaches.

Peter Manojlovic June 23rd, 2009 12:36 PM

I've just invested in a Matrox....

The colour correcting alone has saved me more than any software based solution can do..
Especially the monitoring...

Sorry about your past experiences Harm....But my Matrox card is cutting my HDV like butter, and is more stable than i can expect....Where else can you monitor and edit for that price range??

Steve Oakley June 30th, 2009 11:05 PM

most issues surrounding matrox hardware come down to using unsupported hardware. specific chipsets most often, occasionally they will even post a certain mobo just won't work, yet some one with that same mobo will rail they have problems... spend $150, change the mobo and problem solved. FWIW, matrox hardware really does make PP fly much better.

Taky Cheung June 30th, 2009 11:53 PM

Capturing with Matrox will give you a .avi file with Matrox hardware codec wrap around it. I assumed you are working on HDV that will give you a .mpeg file to work with. For Premiere Pro, it works much faster and happier with AVI than .mpeg.

Yeah I love Matrox color correction tool too! It makes color matching a lot easier too. I did a post like this

L.A. Color Shop Blog | Color Correction with RT.X2

The matrox hardware acceleration in export also speeds up a lot of time.

I am selling one of my matrox cards too

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/private-c...t.x2+full+card

Yasir Hasby July 1st, 2009 10:56 AM

well..
perhaps I should upgrading my video card, I'm using nvidia geforce 8800 gt.
it's kinda slow when preview the project with full colorgrad pluggin attached..
I'm using magic bullet for vegas..
what do you think guys..?