Which is more accurate of an NTSC color correction? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 2nd, 2004, 07:24 PM   #1
Major Player

Which is more accurate of an NTSC color correction?

Either through my Svideo on the Vidcard to an NTSC monitor which displays the whole desktop - then I check the picture in Vegas on the NTSC while color correcting

-OR-

When Vegas is set to external monitor and the output picture is being sent to my old camcorder (panny DV852) VIA firewire and then S-video'd out from the 852 to the monitor?

-They are a bit different - being sent through my 852 seems to be a bit darker....
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2004, 09:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Just guessing here, but my opinion is that running the monitor off your cam (or tape deck) is better because it allows you to see what the original tape looked like and what the edited tape will look like because it is being processed through the electronics of the deck.

Monitoring directly from your NLE show you what the computer thinks is accurate, but it still needs to be converted by the deck, or in your case, camera.

This is the way I have my NLE set up, I'll be interested in hearing other opinions.
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2004, 12:58 PM   #3
Wrangler

Driving your NTSC monitor from the video card give you an incorrect picture because it delivers a picture using the computer's color-space, not the NTSC color space.

Converting through your camera solves the problem.
Old April 4th, 2004, 01:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Awesome, thanks guys....
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC