DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Question for Pinnacle Users (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/242462-question-pinnacle-users.html)

Kevin Lewis August 5th, 2009 07:07 AM

Question for Pinnacle Users

Once my footage is in the timeline, is there any reason I cant delete the original captured footage or does the footage in the timeline need the original captured material as a reference point?

Battle Vaughan August 5th, 2009 09:37 AM

I'm not a Pinnacle person, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong. But most NLE's are non-destructive edits, which means that what is on your timeline is only a reference to the actual clip, not the clip itself. If you delete the clip from your timeline, the original material is ok. If you delete the original material, the clip on the timeline and everything else related to that clip disappears. / Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team

Kevin Lewis August 5th, 2009 09:47 AM

Battle: Pinnacle gives you the option to delete what they call "Auxillary Files" that relate to a specific project. I need to free up some hard drive space and was looking to delete any footage that was not in the time line. Does anyone know what Pinnacale means by "Auxillary Files"?

Battle Vaughan August 5th, 2009 11:03 AM

Again, not Pinnacle specific, but in Final Cut, for example, a number of render files, and other data ancillary to the project are produced during the editing. After the project is complete these files are un-necessary unless you re-edit. I don't know that deleteing these would or would not destroy a Pinnacle project, but my gut feeling is don't delete anything until you have finalized and output your project...I keep my Final Cut process files for a year, on a backup drive; it is amazing how often somebody wants to re-purpose something I've done, and I can just open the timeline up again and get to work without having to start over...ymmv ///bv

Rob Morse August 5th, 2009 11:13 AM

Kevin, I use Liquid. I think studio is the same in that it uses render files, which are usually in a Render folder. You have to be careful of the stuff in the Media folder, that's the reels and imports.

Abraham Texidor Sr. August 5th, 2009 12:17 PM

If you delete or move your source footage from it original location. The next time you work on that project Pinnacle will not be able to open with all the footage on the time line. You will need to direct Pinnacle to all original media and footage.

I delete AUX files. This Pinnacle will recreate upon openning a project.

I do not delete projects.

I move projects to an external drive and keep all footage and media in the same location folder. This way going back to work on a project is simple. Open like you would any saved project and tell Pinnacle where to locate them.

Kevin Lewis August 5th, 2009 12:36 PM

Abraham: Are you sayiing that I could buy an external hard-drive and move my entire project to that hard drive? If so, that would solve the lack of space on my hard drive problem. How do I do this so that everthing I need transfers to the new drive? I would need not only the timeline, but the captured footage also. And finally, if I move the project to the external drive, can I delete it from my "C" drive?

Rob Morse August 5th, 2009 05:46 PM

I would suggest checking out here Error
There are some pretty knowledgable people on there. They'll also tell you the proper way to set up your capture & render files as I suggested above. That way you'll always know what to save, delete or relocate. You can also try the Liquid forum

Kevin Lewis August 7th, 2009 10:02 AM

Thanks Rob. That fourm was quite helpful.

Abraham Texidor Sr. August 7th, 2009 11:45 AM

External hardrive is the way to go. Kevin, copy all your raw footage folders and pic, media graphics and place them on the external hardrive. (copy/paste) Never delete any of your projects via the File menu. When you open a current project you should see a list of all current and old project. (you moved to external hard) This list is your shortcuts to your project. (this take up very little or no disk space)

Set the external hard drive to be your capture drive for all your raw footage.
Be sure to move everything used to make your project. (pics music custom graphic not created in Pinnacle.)

Do not touch or move Auxiliary Folder it will save you from a huge problem.

Try doing this with some test footage.

Look for tutorials in the forum Error