DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Looking for a Good Intra-Frame Codec (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/24658-looking-good-intra-frame-codec.html)

Peter Moore April 16th, 2004 09:16 AM

Looking for a Good Intra-Frame Codec

Hi folks,

Should be an easy question, but who knows. I'm looking for a general purpose, intra-frame only, high quality video codec that supports arbitrary resolutions and framerates. It can be for DirectShow or QuickTime. Basically I want DV with arbitrary framerates and resolutions.

Does any such thing exist? If so, what would you suggest? I'm willing to pay a modest sum for it.

Peter Moore April 17th, 2004 05:54 AM

So... is the answer that there is none? I can't believe it.

Graeme Nattress April 17th, 2004 01:11 PM

I'd say that PhotoJPEG is what you're looking for.

Graeme

Rob Lohman April 18th, 2004 06:49 AM

High bitrate MJPEG is what everyone seems to be using for that
work and different resolutions and framerate. MJPEG stands for
motion jpeg. Kinda is the same as DV only more general.

Peter Moore April 19th, 2004 06:46 AM

Sounds like that's exactly what I need. Now just have to find a good codec implementation. Any recommendations?

Mark Jefferson April 19th, 2004 07:52 AM

You might also want to check Huffyuv or QT Animation

Rob Lohman April 21st, 2004 03:30 AM

I know of these codecs, but I'm not sure if they support high-
bitrates and how well they'll handle higher resolutions. Each seem
to have a demo available so you can try it out. They are cheap
as well!

MainConcept (they make a good MPEG encoder so this would be my first one to try)
Morgan Multimedia (were good in the past, don't know how they are now)
Pegasus Imaging (never used this myself)

Peter Moore April 21st, 2004 08:32 AM

What about DVCPRO? Should I use that?

Basically I want something that I can use for my final masters to pump into Canopus Procoder for DVDs, but it needs to support 24p. So it needs to be as good as DV if not better.

Nick Jushchyshyn April 21st, 2004 09:11 AM

Have you looked into the HuffYUV codec ??
Have fun.

Rob Lohman April 21st, 2004 09:24 AM

DVCPRO is just DV with some different parameters. It is as strict
as plain DV is so I would not use that in this case. Take a look
at the suggestions already offered.

Peter Moore April 21st, 2004 12:31 PM

Thanks.

I tried QuickTime's MJPEG-A and B and they do look excellent. I'm having a hard time telling if they're as good as DV though.

I'll also take a look at Huffyuv. Looks promising. Thanks a lot for that suggestion.

Peter Moore April 25th, 2004 09:21 PM

Ah, this huffyuv works like a charm. This is the codec I've been looking for I think. Great stuff. Thanks!

Darko Tomic April 26th, 2004 01:43 AM

I am very interested in this huffyuv codec, can I capture via my firewire card directly with it, or not ?

Regards
Darko

Peter Moore April 26th, 2004 08:58 AM

I don't think that's possible. Firewire capture just captures the data stream directly with no modifcation to it. It's not like analog capture where you're encoding it too. So I think you need to get DV first then export it with an NLE to huffyuv.

But once you do it's fantastic. It's only 2x as big as DV, which is pretty amazing when you think about it considering it's lossless. I'm going to do all my mastering with it from now on.

Darko Tomic April 26th, 2004 03:56 PM

<<<-- But once you do it's fantastic. It's only 2x as big as DV, which is pretty amazing when you think about it considering it's lossless. I'm going to do all my mastering with it from now on. -->>>

Thanx for the answer Peter,

now I wonder why should I use this codec cause when I once put my video to DV codec it is already compressed ie the quality is degraded. All I can think of is if you have multiple recompression od dv video, and want to have lossless codec for intermediate renderings (color correction etc...)

Best regards