EMERGENCY - cam not found by NLE correctly at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 24th, 2004, 09:18 AM   #1
Trustee

EMERGENCY - cam not found by NLE correctly

Thought I had this posted here already. Posted this in the PDX10 group but am having no luck so I'll give you NLE guys a crack at this issue. I am an Avid / Premiere Pro guy myself but this is frustrating the heck out of me.

Well, I just discovered a very odd thing happening here with the old PDX-10 and any editing application.

I have been using a DSR-20 for a long time and it has been working flawlessly. I plug the 1394 in and it goes through the normal discover messages for a new DV device to which I cancel out of - all 4 messages. New DV device found, new AV tuner, etc. (which is odd as there is really no tuner in the DSR20)

I plug in the PDX-10 and I only get one message. I cancel it and can open my apps - Avid XpressPro, Premiere Pro, Vegas, etc. I can capture and control the camera in VCR mode. I however for the life of me cannot get dv playing out from any applications back into the camera. They are set right and think they are as evidenced by the stuttered output on the PC screens.

Keep in mind that it works fine with my tiny Sony Vaio laptop. I get imediate in and out. Same 4 messages I get using the DSR20 on the home system when I connect too.

Now, here's a hint. When I plug into the laptop, I look at the device drivers and notice there is a 1394 device listed, the TI driver is showing. On the bigger home system, I have a generic (probably Microsoft) driver. So far, in almost a year of editing with the DSR20, the driver hasn't been an issue and I am a bit reluctant to fool with a mostly working very well system.

A few questions come to mind, why does the DSR20 work fine with both drivers?

Why doesn't the PDX10?

How do I fix this?

What are you folks seeing as the listed device driver?

How can I change so I only use the right driver?

Why does the home PC only ask one question for the PDX10 and 4 for the DSR20?

How do I get and load the TI drivers and will that help.

Etc.

I will need to get video back onto the camera at some point. That's 33% of why I bought it. I know it can work. It works fine from the laptop. What do I need to make it work right on the big PC?

The 1394 card in the home PC is a built in card so I can't change it. I can add a second one which I may have to do.

I just discovered all this last night so I will work on it this weekend but it's quite nerve wracking right now.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 02:33 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Sean,

Check a number of things:

1) Your camera is supported by the programs you wish to use it with

2) Your camera is switched to VCR mode

3) You have set the device control to your camera in your NLE programs

4) Check that a Sony DV Device appears in my computer

5) can you capture with windows movie maker and export?

6) Check to see whether the camera has DV in enabled and is working correctly. Connect your DSR 20 to your PDX10 via firewire and do a tape to tape transfer Does it work?

7) Double check your playback settings in your NLE app

8) Make sure you the camera is securely connected via firewire and switched to VCR mode before you open your NLE app.

9) Does the camera have analogue input? If so make sure you have swapped modes in the menu from Analogue to digital.

I think thats it!

Let us know how you get on...

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:26 PM   #3
New Boot

Are the camera and DSR20 attached at the same time? Maybe there is a conflict between these drivers. Try disconnecting the DSR20 first.

Also, why cancel out of the new DV device messages?
Kent Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:22 AM   #4
Trustee

First, to Ed, I have done all those things. Still - no joy as they say. Cannot export with any program to the PDX10 but can capture from it.

I'll keep working on it.

Next, Kent,

Nope, not both connected at the same time. I have troubles with the DVD burner and the deck being on the lines at the same time as do most folks.

I cancel out of the new device messages as from experience, there are no drivers specific to the DSR20 and it invariable guesses wrong.

Strangely, 2 things happen. It installs drivers anyway and it tells me there is an A/V tuner in the DSR20.

The drivers that are being loaded are not the TI drivers but some generic Microsoft drivers. The catch here is and always has been that these drivers are working fine with the DSR20 but not with the PDX10.

I have resigned to just buying a deck and getting the system working right with that deck and using the camera only for capture if I have to.

Not exacly the usability factor I had hoped for but it will work, and keep me from using the camera as a deck so I suppose that's OK too.

It has always bugged me something terrible when a thing is supposed to work, but won't. Especially so when it works for others.

I must state publicly that I have been criticized for posting my pleas for help in 3 different forum sections. I placed this cry for help in the PC NLE forum, the PDX10 forum and the Premiere forum. All of which this problem is directly related to. I was told not to cross post so from now on I will try to pick the forum most related to the issue and if I get no resopnse will then move the question to another forum.

Thanks folks,

Sean

Old April 29th, 2004, 04:30 AM   #5
Wrangler

Hi Sean,

I think the reason why it installs an AV tuner driver is because its a 'VCR' (even though it does not have a tuner in it). Thats why it won't install that kind of driver when you connect your camera. It does the same for me when I connect my Sony GVD-300 mini DV deck. When I connect my XL1 I don't get it.

Maybe XP has got in a muddle? possibly re-install it?

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:02 AM   #6
Trustee

Hello Ed,
Yep, I am in the process of clearing all my projects as I will be moving the whole studio soon anyway. I will reinstall everything at that time.

There are a few other issues like Avid actually replaces the Microsoft drivers at some point but does save them. It shouldn't matter as again, it works with the DSR20, just not the PDX10. Seems there is something about the recognition of the PDX10 that's the issue now.

I should also restate that all software, including Premiere, Avid XpressPro, Vegas 4 and even simple DV capture applications all can capture but none can send it back out to the camera. The deck is fine, just the camera. And again, only on the office PC does this happen. On the laptop, both the camera and the deck work great.

Very odd.

I did try copying the drivers from the laptop to the PC but it didn't help.

Sean

Old April 30th, 2004, 07:45 AM   #7
Trustee

Sony's response:
I called Sony and asked one of the technicians the following 2 questions -

1). How should the 16x9 footage be treated from the camera, as DV footage in 720x480?

Answer - treat it as anamorphic footage.

2). Why can't I send video out to the camera even though I can capture footage and it works 100% on my laptop?

Answer - reinstal the operating system. Possible file corruption, bad drivers, etc.

That's it. As soon as I can clear the footage and / or archive the projects, I will reinstall the OS and get a good clean run at it. If it doesn't work after that...

Sean

Old May 5th, 2004, 08:40 AM   #8
Wrangler

Hi Sean,

If you haven't yet re-installed XP...

I just came across this http://forum.matrox.com/rt2000/Forum36/HTML/000001.html Although it is mentioned for Matrox hardware I think that the 3rd option might be of interest to you? Its about difficulties encountered with DV 1394 devices under Win XP.

Might be worth a try?

Old May 5th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #9
Trustee

Thanks Ed. I'll give the bottom option on removing and reinstalling a try tonight.

I'll let you know if it helps.

Thanks again,

Sean

Old August 10th, 2004, 01:07 PM   #10
Trustee

If anyone is still watching this thread, I should have reported some time back that I fixed the problem.

No matter what I tried, I could not change the IEEE drivers. And I tried a lot of things too.

In the end, luckily I had the laptop as a functioning editor. Aftrer reading on some remote board someplace about the .inf files for setting drivers in Windows systems, I got a thought. Why not back up my current C:\Windows\System 32\inf directory on the broken machine and copy the same directory from the laptop into the editing machine.

With the help of a USB drive, I copied all the .inf files over all the files one by one to the bad system, and it worked.

One of the .inf files was responsible for which drivers got loaded and where they were located and so on. Anyway, don't take this as an endorsement to do this yourselves and then blame me if you corrupt your systems. I calim no further responsability for what others mght do. Just know that I first copied my entire inf directory to someplace safe in case I needed it back the way it was.

Sean McHenry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC