Which is better Algolith or Twixtor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 03:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Which is better Algolith or Twixtor

Which is better Algolith or Twixtor. I have seen some footage of twixtor (30 to 24 conversion) and the image was not at all smooth. Would someone with some experience with either or both let me know which is likely to give me a smooth conversion (e.g. less or no shakes in the frames, artifacts, and a smooth 24p look). I am using the jvc hd10u hi def cam.

Thanks
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 07:43 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Algolith has the best quality manipulation tools, IMHO.

Are you aware their frame rate conversion plugin is only available for Shake?

Julian
Julian Luttrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 07:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Have you checked out MotionPerfect from Dynapel? www.dynapel.com
Mark Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:09 AM   #4
Major Player

Algoligh

I am aware that algolith is only available for Shake (darn it all), but if it is truly a superior product, then it may be worth the extra step (until there is a 24p hi def cam that is reasonably priced). I have not yet tried motion perfect, but I will look into it right away.

Thanks
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:34 AM   #5
Major Player

2:3 pulldown and 30p to 24p

By the way isn't it possible to get the same 30p to 24p effect as these plug-ins will give using 2:3 pulldown . I am not as familiar with the technical details of frame rate conversion as some others, so please someone explain if and how my logic is faulty.

Thanks
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:22 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The likes of Algolith create intermediate frames by using advanced edge and motion detection algorithms to calculate what the frames should have looked like.

Pulldown on the other hand aproximates the new frame by taking the one nearest to it in time.

So, going 30 to 24, frame 1 should be at time 1/24th second. Algolith will generate such a frame from a combination of the 1/30th and 2/30th frames. Pulldown will use either the 1/30th frame or the 2/30th frame (I'm not sure offhand which).

Julian
Julian Luttrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:43 PM   #7
Major Player

which one is better

Thanks for the explanation, but which process is better (Algolith, or pulldowns)? Also how does motionperfect compare in this mix in terms of quality of output. I can't buy all these programs so I am looking for some guidance.

Thanks
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC