captured card only, no software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 28th, 2002, 06:16 PM   #1
New Boot

captured card only, no software

Okay here is my situation, I have a really cheap capture card that I use to capture my video. I work with adobe premier and I hate the fact that I have to wait ages for it to render

I've decided to invest in a real good capture card. my question is, is it possible to buy just the capture card? I've seen a lot of the cards recommended by some of the people on this forum that come bundled with software. I don't see a point in "rebuying" adobe premier just to get a better card.

maybe I am just looking at the wrong cards here, is it possible to get just the capture card from some of these companies? or will i run into problems by not running their version of the software with the card. i am very confused. one of the pinnacle cards is at $1200 that comes with premier and other titles. I figured thats about $800 in software alone and about 400 for the card, is this right?

some please explain this to me, or point me at the right direction, thanks in advance...
sjvideoPlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2002, 09:01 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Check out the Canopus DVStorm SE, it's just the real-time capture card with analog and DV in & out. Doesn't come with Premiere like the regular DVStorm does, so it's perfect for you and should be less than $1000. By the way, the money is in the card, *not* the software. See www.justedit.com and www.justeditors.com -- hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2002, 11:53 PM   #3
New Boot

yes thank you, I was looking at the dvstorm, it could very well be exactly what I am looking for. its not that expensive either. the card seems to be better than the matrox rt2500 and the pinnacle pro one, is this right?
sjvideoPlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2002, 07:07 AM   #4
Capt. Quirk

One of the features that I enjoy the most about my Storm system (Besides the real time), is the Breakout box. Can you get it with the SE, or just the SE Plus?

I was between the Pinnacle Pro-One and the DV Storm, and because the Pinnacle wasn't supporting Win 2K when it came out, they lost.
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2002, 09:28 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Break-out box and Adobe Premiere are not included with DVStorm SE. The break-out box is not required anyway... Storm runs fine without it.

What Storm has over the RT2500 or Pro-One is real-time output to DV, and scalable performance (capabilities increase as CPU & RAM increase). Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2002, 10:59 AM   #6
Capt. Quirk

The breakout box isn't necessary, but it does make life much better! I never want to have to reach behind my PC again :)
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC