Horizontal lines on all moving objects. Help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 27th, 2004, 08:32 PM   #1
New Boot

Horizontal lines on all moving objects. Help!

Here's my dilema. I bought a Sony TRV80 and filmed my dogs catching their frisbees. Captured it to my Pentium 4 and discovered everything that was moving was jagged and made up of "horizontal lines". This only occurred on moving objects. So I sold the camera. I am new to this stuff, so I suspected the camera.

I now have a Canon GL2 and the same problem appears. So I figured it was my editing software, but after capturing with ArcSoft's Showbiz, Sonic's MyDVD and Adobe Premier Pro, they ALL exhibit this problem. Needless to say, I'm not happy about this.

My computer is a P4 1.7GHz with 1Gb of memory and an ATI Rage All-in-Wonder Raedon graphics card, captured via a 1394 port down on the board (not a PCI card). If I play the video back directly from the camera to the TV, the problem does not appear. Capturing as .avi, .mpeg, .wmv, ... whatever does not make a difference.

Can anyone tell me how to NOT get this problem with moving objects? Is it my graphics card?
Kyle Field is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:07 PM   #2
New Boot

This is an artifact of video interlacing. When TVs were first invented they were not fast enough to repaint the whole screen. To save processing power and video bandwidth, NTSC repaints the old number lines on one pass and the even number lines on the next pass. Each pass is a 60th of a second. You get a full frame every 30th of a second (OK, every 29.97th of a second, but that's another story). The artifact come from the object moving in the 60th of a second between half frames.

Very annoying to look it on a computer screen at first. But when you go out to video or DVD you don't notice it.

Read up in your manuals about interlacing and NTSC and fields to learn more.
Kent Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Kyle,

I had the same problem with my pdx10 outputing to Vegas 4.

The problem was with interlacing. The solution was to render in progressive mode. The lines disappeared.

pdx10, EOS10D
Steve Roffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

If you'd post this message BEFORE you sold your 'broken' cam we've could all have told you there's nothing wrong with it!

Needless to say there's nothing wrong with your graphics card either.

Well, at least someone now has a very cheap 'broken' cam :P
Bram Corstjens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 01:20 PM   #5
New Boot

In my message I said I was new to video editing, so my first thought was that the camera's quality was poor and perhaps the shutter speed was not suited for fast action footage. I never said it was broken. Besides, I also wanted a 3CCD camera, so it was a good enough reason for me to sell it to get the GL2.
Kyle Field is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:26 PM   #6
Warden

Stay on topic and avoid personal attacks, please.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC