Canon GL2 won't properly communicate with my PC... Help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 14th, 2002, 02:19 PM   #1
cocobutt

Canon GL2 won't properly communicate with my PC... Help!

Hello,

I got my GL2 yesterday and have been trying to hook it up to the PC to edit some footage in premiere.. When I plug in the camera and turn it on I always get the same yellow exclamation point in the device manager of winXP.. It won't find a driver automtatically and if you force install an AVC device driver that is included with windows it produces a code 10 error "The connected device will not start." I have searched EVERYWHERE for a solution and have only managed to find two others with the same problem. Here is my system setup and the attempts I have made to fix it.

WinXP Pro
MSI KT-266A Pro-2RU mobo
Athlon XP 1700+
ATI All in Wonder Radeon (POS!)
Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer (w/ 1394 connection)
24x burner, 6x DVD, Network Card, Cable modem, cordless mouse and keyboard
3x Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7200rpm
Canon GL2

I have tried two firewire (1394) cards, the audigy and a Power Magic ALi1394, both install perfectly fine and have been used for DV before on other cameras, as well as home networking. Both of the cards are OHCI compliant and should be able to handle the video transfer as previous DV cams have. I noticed that the other cameras I used immediately and automatically installed as AVC devices in the device manager with no issues or hassles. Canon states that they do not release drivers for DV cameras and that the only drivers neccessary are 1394 card drivers supplied by the manufacturer. Since both of these 1394 cards are essentially generic, they use the built in winXP drivers.

Any ideas how to fix this problem short of wasting $1,000 (or even $200) on another firewire card? I have all of the software I need, and only need the camera to be recognized by winXP. Since it is not recognized, Premiere says the device is either not connected or communication can't occur.

I would like to avoid buying other firewire cards because I see people constantly complaining about them and having driver conflicts with other software.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Cocobutt
Old July 14th, 2002, 09:49 PM   #2
Trustee

This is most likely due to the fact that the GL2 has been out for about 2 weeks and there is no way anyone has had time to write specific drivers for it. Try setting Premiere to the generic DV device setting and see what happens.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2002, 09:50 PM   #3
Trustee

This is most likely due to the fact that the GL2 has been out for about 2 weeks and there is no way anyone has had time to write specific drivers for it. Try setting Premiere to the generic DV device setting and see what happens.

As for XP, you would have the same problem. If there is a generic DV camera setting in there I'd try that.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2002, 01:57 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

Well, you should not need any drivers at all. Even if XP throws
you an exlcamation mark you should be able to use the camera
in an NLE like Adobe Premiere. Have you tried using that? Forget
the device manager for now. I suggest trying Premiere either
in GL1, XL1 or Generic DV device mode (in that particular order).

Should work.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2002, 05:19 PM   #5
ErickPRO

canon xl1s slow

hi, i recently got a canon xl1 and it works really slow when ever importing video...

it even runs slow when ever on VTR mode and playback on a monitor...

the VTR circuitry that the canon xl1s is slow compared to the sony camcorder that i have and the other panasonic that i have...

i hate this, i paid a lot of money for this cam just to find out that is really slow..

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC