Which color bars at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 8th, 2004, 12:25 PM   #1
Trustee

Which color bars

Which color bar signal do you use to set up your monitor. A direct feed from the camera or from your NLE system. I just noticed for the first time that both signals yeild different results although both are set up to IRE 7.5. Anyone have any ideas? Oh, and the NLE feed to the monitor is via s-VHS cable and feed from cam is via RCA connector.

Regards,

Mark

Matrox RT2500
Premiere 6.5
DVC30 and GL-1
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #2
Wrangler

I'd feed it from the system that will normally be used with it . . . the NLE since that's how you will be judging the output when you are editing.

If you have a waveform and vectorscope display in your NLE, look at both sets of bars and see what the measured difference really is.
Old June 9th, 2004, 11:12 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Mike. I will use the signal from the NLE. Unfortunately I don't have access to vectorscope but do have the waveform.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2004, 07:42 AM   #4
New Boot

color bars

I usually record color bars from my camera on to the head of each tape for several reasons, and capture some of the color bars into the NLE when starting a project. I then use those color bars to calibrate my monitors. I've found that sometimes the color bars from NLE are a littl different than the ones from my camera. but using the captured version through the NLE allows me to properly set up and calibrate the NLE chain. that being said. some cameras use only full field colorbars and aren't as usefull as a set of sempte bars that have the pluge bars in the bottom right corner. these really help in setting up the brightness and contrast of a monitor and what i see miss set most often
Michael Ray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC