editing MPEG2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 9th, 2004, 08:08 PM   #1
Major Player

editing MPEG2

It might be out of the scope of these forums but here's what I need.

I want to capture some video with analog capture/TV tuner card straight to MPEG2.
Then simply cut out the unneccessary chunks and prepare for DVD authoring without re-encoding.

Is there such software that can do that? I don't need anything fancy - just cut is fine.

Also can I combine few in such way 'edited' MPEG2 files to master the final DVD?
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 08:44 PM   #2
Skyonic New York

well we do that with our dc1000 card and adobe premiere 6.5...

the card is a mpeg rt card as well so your working with two streams in real time

the bad news is the card has been discontinued for some time (check out ebay, or dc1000.org)...you have to use premiere 6.5 and no upgrade path to premiere pro

the good news is you can capture a clip and no need to re-encode, play off the timeline or make movie to export to your favorite authoring app...

the quality is perfection at 6-8 mps... 5 is ok 4 is poor

we use this card in production almost everyday for about 6 years now, is is a major time saver

recently new software like edius has been able to edit mpeg 2 in real time, but since it is a dv editor you still have to re-encode to mpeg 2
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 09:35 PM   #3
Major Player

As I said my aim is very minimalistic.
I already own the card - nothing special - it's not production tool but cheap PC gear allowing for all formats hybrid software & hardware (very little of it I guess) encoding.
Supports .AVI, MPEG1,2,4 and WMV capture taking it's CPU power differencies for that to be possible.

So what you say is that basically in NLE you can open and edit the captured format but you have to re-encode to MPEG2?

Edit: What I have also is supposed to capture straight in MPEG2 - no need to re-encode to author. What I need is to edit the captured clip (cut pieces out, not just trim the beginning-end)!
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 12:17 AM   #4
Skyonic New York

ok ok calm down just a suggestion....

try this instead...

http://www.mediaware.com.au/ProductInfo/index.html

http://www.womble.com/products.htm
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 12:47 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the links - right on the spot!

I came up to search some free utilities also and to my surprise I found such on www.videohelp.com - even in the basic video editors. No support for them ofcourse.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC