DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Dual Monitors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/28014-dual-monitors.html)

Unregistered Guest June 24th, 2004 10:56 AM

Dual Monitors

Hi,
I'm trying to set up dual monitors, and im having problems. I have my LCD hooked up to my AGP Graphics card, and my secondary monitor hooked up to the video input from my Motherboard.

When I go to display panel, I have the options for two monitors (It displays Monitor 1, and Monitor 2), yet directly underneath of the monitors, it has the drop down box and this is what it says:
1. Plug And Play Monitor on RADEON 7000 SERIES
2. Plug And Play Monitor on RADEON 7000 SERIES

But the second monitor is hooked up to the motherboard, so how do I go about getting monitor one from one input and monitor two from another?

I tried to explain my problem as best as I could without making it too long.

Thanks

Ed Smith June 24th, 2004 11:45 AM

Long and detailed posts are always welcome, they make it much easier to understand your problem!!!

You say that your secondary monitor his hooked to the video input. Do you not mean video out put (S-video)?

Please explain what you are trying to do. Generally you hook up 2 VGA monitors to 2 VGA outputs on the same graphics card. The S-video is normally for viewing on a TV screen. If you are editing and want to preview your edits on a TV, then you need to connect it via your camcorder which is hooked via firewire (unless you have an analogue breakout box/ Hardware).

You can not use 2 different VGA ports from 2 different cards (Radeon and on-board), as far as I am aware of.

Please explain your situation:
What NLE software you are using?
What are you trying to acheive?

Thanks,

Rob Lohman June 24th, 2004 11:46 AM

One is probably your TV out on the card. The problem is this:

Your onboard video card is also AGP. There can be only one
device on the AGP bus, that's why you haven't seen any
motherboard out with more than one AGP bus.

Guess what happens as soon as you plug an AGP card in your
system? Yes, your onboard model is disabled and Windows
will NOT see it.

You can easily verify this, go to your hardware list and you'll
see you will only have one graphics adapter.

So either get an additional PCI card or a dual head AGP card
(if this model doesn't have that => make sure to check!)

Unregistered Guest June 24th, 2004 12:10 PM

Thanks guys, I guess I wont be running dual monitors then, haha.

My AGP card has S-video aswell as vga, the second monitor is connected to my motherboard via vga also, so i'll end up buying a another card when I get a job.

Trey Perrone June 30th, 2004 02:58 PM

just pick up an inexpensive PCI vid card, shoot i run three monitors, two off ATI 9500pro and one off an old voodoo 16MB

For a client of mine who doesnt care how much he spends, I set up 3 21 inch dell LCDs and a projector. I got him a $80 ATI PCI that could handle dual for the third LCD and projector from circuit city, and im sure you could get something like that cheaper.

Roy Beazley July 1st, 2004 10:10 PM

Curtis what us the number on the back of the card? I got one off ebay thinking it was a dual card but it never world "see it" . It is a 7000 radeon it has the adc and vga ,rca.

RB

Unregistered Guest July 5th, 2004 04:30 PM

Mine is a:
Radeon 7000 AGP (0x5159)

I'm going to buy a new one however.

Alex Dunn July 12th, 2004 03:20 PM

I have a new 128MB ATI RADEON™ X300 PCI Express16x I bought for dual display. I was told by someone, that with a simple cable, you can run the DVI output to both a SVGA and a TV monitor simultaneously, the TV output being your preview window.

Has anyone here done that?

Trey Perrone July 12th, 2004 05:16 PM

i believe it would be better to run ut back firewire, view through tv that way...as opposed to lookin at it through some werid conversion done through the driver/vid card.

yea.

maybe.

?

:-|

Rob Lohman July 13th, 2004 01:00 AM

It could work, Alex. But I would rather have a second screen to
put extra windows on and use the firewire out as a preview on
a TV or broadcast monitor as Trey indicated.

The card must do aspect ratio and resolution convertions and
probably two color space switches as well. This does not improve
upon the signal.