DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Capture: 139four v. analog DV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/28454-capture-139four-v-analog-dv.html)

Barb Morra July 4th, 2004 03:15 PM

Capture: 139four v. analog DV

Hey youse guys:

I use an inexpensive Panny to capture tapes shot on Canon equipment. When I capture via firewire, there are negative deflections on the audio waveform that translate to "clicking" or "staticy sounds" on the audio track. When I capture the same tape via the Matrox break out box, the sound track is clean. When I use a Canon to capture, there are tons of dropped frames, and sometimes the entire system freezes. However, what is captured is clean with no clicks or waveform problems. The tape itself is clean. I can play it on a monitor and the video and audio quality are beautiful.

Two questions:

1) Doesn't this sound like a driver problem;

and

2) what are the drawbacks to capturing via the breakout box v. the firewire?

Running PFour, 512 RAM, 200G Maxtor HDs, Win XP, Premiere 6.5 ( I'm unhappy with Pro) Matrox RTX 100.

Thanks in advance and Happy Fourth!

David Kennett July 4th, 2004 04:17 PM

I had this problem on an old Canon ZR (yes, just ZR). It was really strange. Using Ulead MSP, I could shuffle or play in the source window OK, but if I tried to play it in the preview window the pops appeared. They were several excursions to the negative rail during one frame. The funny thing was, that if I just rendered the program everything was OK - UNLESS I changed an audio parameter - say level.

I could correct the problem if - during capture - I disabled hardware acceleration of the audio board in the registry (Win98).

I say use another camera.

Barb Morra July 4th, 2004 04:51 PM

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the quick reply!
I have tried multiple other cameras, only to have problems with lots of dropped frames/system hang. I switched out the firewire cable, same problem. Switched out the tape, same problem.

Captured via breakout box, no problem.

I don't have an audio card. I have an Asus P4C800 MB and the audio is on the MB (AC97 ????). Can't find any meaningful settings to change anywhere.

David Kennett July 5th, 2004 09:59 AM

Barb,

You should NOT be dropping frames - and I have only seen the audio problem on my ancient ZR. What capture program are you using? Are you using the P4C800E firewire?

I recently put together a computer with Asus P4C800E Deluxe MB, and used the internal audio module for awhile with no problems. I capture DV from Panasonic PV-DC252 and JVC Jy-HD10. I also capture MPG HD firewire from the HD-10. I use Ulead capture program for DV.

Tell me a little more about what you're doing.

Rob Lohman July 6th, 2004 04:14 AM

Do you know if DMA is turned on for your drive? I would also try
a different firewire cable and different firewire board if you can.