Where to save project file at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 9th, 2004, 02:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Where to save project file

I'm editing on a PC with a bundled NLE and have a 250GB external harddrive which I've specified as the location for capturing video and intend to use for all video files.

When saving the actual project is it a good idea to also save on the external harddrive... or is that best stored on the regular hard drive in the main part of the computer - like the NLE itself?

Thanks.

Graham
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 03:03 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Graham,

I tend to keep the project file with the associated media all in 1 (project) folder on the same media drive. That way you know where everything is.

To be honest I don't think it actually matters too much, just as long as you can find it when you need it. I don't think there is any advantage in speed no matter where the project file is placed.

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 04:19 AM   #3
Major Player

Yeah. It would have been my inclination to save the project file on the external harddrive - I purchased the drive for this specific project. Just heard that the NLE and the video files should run off different drives and wondered if same applied to the project file and the video files to which it relates. It's easier that it doesn't! Thanks.
Old July 9th, 2004, 07:01 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I would keep the project files on the same hard drive as the program. I would also recommend saving a copy of the project file to disk when you are done, that way you can always recapture the media if the media drive fails.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 07:05 AM   #5
Major Player

'I would keep the project files on the same hard drive as the program. I would also recommend saving a copy of the project file to disk when you are done, that way you can always recapture the media if the media drive fails.'

So you mean, for example..

C: NLE, Project/s

G: Video Files
Old July 10th, 2004, 05:37 AM   #6
RED Code Chef

I use the following strategy:

1) all media (captured, processed, encoded, stills etc.) are on one of my "project" drives

2) the project file itself is in the root of the projects directory. Every time (minimum timespan is a day) I work on a project I save it under a new name, like this:

project-20040710

This gives me multiple files to go back to earlier versions and as
a backup if something where to happen to the latest file (not in
the sense that it was deleted but more if it got corrupted). With
bigger projects or projects that take a while to complete I usually
backup the project files to a seperate harddisk and/or CD.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 11:05 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Graham,
Yeah, for me, in Avid XpressPro, my omf files (media files) are on my E and F drives. The system drive C, holds the program and "Projects" folders, along with the user preferences and assorted programs. I back up the "project" files to disk, when completed. Avid has an "attic" that automatically backs up copies of the project that you can regulate as to the number of copies it keeps. So if a project becomes corrupted, you can go back to an earlier version. The actual Project files are very small, and take up little space.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2004, 06:41 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks guys - that has clued me in.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC