DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   XP vs. W2K (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/2874-xp-vs-w2k.html)

Ron Transco July 26th, 2002 12:01 AM

XP vs. W2K

Not specific to the XL1S, but since we all use basically the same tools, perhaps someone can help. I was considering switching from W2K Pro to XP Pro. From what I've read XP performs multimedia tasks faster than W2K. It is also supposed to be more stable and easier to maintain. Has anyone switched from W2K to XP Pro? Problems? Relative performance?

Jeff Donald July 26th, 2002 05:15 AM

I don't recommend them, they don't run on my Mac. Just kidding, try posting in the PC section and you'll probably get a faster response. I think there's a similar thread going on now.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2824

Jeff

Rob Lohman July 26th, 2002 05:37 AM

If your hardware is supported (ie, you can find all the drivers
for XP for all of your hardware) you might go to XP indeed. But,
if you are perfectly happy with 2K I would stay. XP only offers
marginal extra for most people.

Edward Troxel July 26th, 2002 07:49 AM

XP really offers no tangible benefits over W2K. If your computer is already running fine with W2K, there is really no reason to change. In fact, many people still prefer W2K over XP.

There is one known factor with XP. If your software supports realtime preview playback over firewire of video over firewire (such as LiveDV in Cinestream or "View on external monitor" in Vegas Video), XP adds a ONE SECOND delay over the firewire port. This delay is not noticable when printing to tape but can be frustrating when it occurs every time you start the timeline playback. This does NOT happen with W2K.

Robert Knecht Schmidt July 26th, 2002 08:33 AM

A second? Geez, that's terrible! Think that'll ever be fixed?

Sticking with Win2K,

Rob Lohman July 26th, 2002 08:45 AM

Let's hope so... I'm sticking to Windows 2000 for my Video work
at the moment.

Don Donatello August 2nd, 2002 06:16 PM

i run VV on BOTH win2K and XP pro computers ...

using VV with XP pro i do NOT have any delay when previewing out over 1394 (pyro basic card) to a NTSC monitor....

i've only had the XP for a month and do have to admit i HATED it for the 1st week as it just didn't do things the same way as win2K ... but after working with it for past month i now prefer it over win2k ....

i have no plans to upgrade my win2K to XP ... the win2K works excellent !

Ron Transco August 2nd, 2002 10:57 PM

I also bit the bullet and installed XP. Premiere, TMPGEnc, and the DV-500 all seem OK. Unfortunately, the program I use to master DVD's, DVD Complete, isn't working right. For some reason I am no longer able to print labels. Oh well, if it isn't one thing it is another.

Don Donatello August 3rd, 2002 09:14 PM

you might try having XP run the program as if it were win98 or win2K ....

right click on the shortcut to DVD complete - PROPERTIES .. COMPATIBILITY .. RUN THIS PROGRAM AS -now choose either win98 or win 2k

Ron Transco August 3rd, 2002 11:09 PM

Microsoft gave me a registry hack, and all is well now. I would have never found it on my own.

K. Forman August 4th, 2002 06:42 AM

I just upgraded from Win 98 to Win 2K. The biggest difference I have found, is that 2K doesn't seem to like video as well. Which really is unfortunate for me, considering my chosen medium.

Has anyone else had video bugs with Win 2K?
Keith

Don Donatello August 4th, 2002 05:15 PM

the win 98 to win 2k upgrade has problems ... the best is to do a new clean install ( not upgrade win98 to win2K)

i have a win 98 , win2k, and XP pro computers .. the win2k and XP have no problems with video - running Vegas video, sound forge, commotion 4pro / pyro 1394 , ata 100/133 pci cards ..
the win2k has 3 internal 120 gigs HD / 20gig OS hd and sometimes 1-3 firewire drives ....

make sure you have the win2K sp1 and sp2 installed and directX8 and the newest 1394 driver installed ( came out with directX8 )

Nathan Gifford August 6th, 2002 07:56 AM

Nothing Wrong With XP, except...

XP is suppose to have some advantages over W2K. XP is suppose to have enhancements that makes its memory usage much more stable and less likely to crash.

However, there is the issue of long term support. XP usually require product authenication. If you plan to stick to XP for the foreseeable future this could be a problem. If you upgrade you system, especially your system hard drive, you will need a new unlock code. If MS is not issuing new unlock codes because they are not supporting your software (or they require a monthly service charge) you are hosed.

W2K works pretty darn well without these problems.

Nathan Gifford

Don Donatello August 6th, 2002 01:47 PM

so far XP has not asked for activation since i started the computer.
since activation i added 512mg ram, ATA133PCI , 1394 card, NIC card ... plus 2 internal 120gig , and 2 HD pull out slots ( i have 10 pull out HD's ) i'm constantly using different drives ... ..PLUS i have used 3 different firewire drives ..so far it has NOT asked for another activation.

K. Forman August 6th, 2002 02:41 PM

Donatello,
I do have the full regular version of Win 2k. I also have all of the service packs, including 3. However, Windows Media Player and Explorer both have the nasty habit of crashing with video files. Are you saying it's just my machine that does this? @#%&!
Keith