DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Color correction: Anything but MBL. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/291517-color-correction-anything-but-mbl.html)

Jason McDonald August 17th, 2009 10:12 PM

Color correction: Anything but MBL.

I can't get the trial to work properly.
I have
After Effects CS3
Vegas Movie Studios (I know it won't work in this NLE)
Premiere Pro CS3

Basically, I want to know what other products are out there that are similar to MBL or better that people have had good experiences with.

Peter Moretti August 18th, 2009 01:24 AM

I thought that Adobe CS comes with Color Finesse's plugin? That's a pretty darn good color corrector.

Harm Millaard August 18th, 2009 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Moretti (Post 1237091)
I thought that Adobe CS comes with Color Finesse's plugin? That's a pretty darn good color corrector.

I quite agree with your statement about Color Finesse, but MB Looks is a different plug-in for different purposes. It is about changing the 'looks' of a video, not so much about color correction as is Color Finesse or RedGiant's Colorista, another very good color corrector.

One thing to keep in mind is that - at least under Vista 64 - you have to make sure that the 'LooksBuilder.exe' file is run in WindowsXP Service Pack 2 compatibility mode to avoid problems and that rendering takes a very long time.

Ray Bell August 19th, 2009 08:32 PM

another good option is Cineform first light

Devin Termini August 20th, 2009 03:32 PM

I've heard that IRIDAS speed grade is another good tool.

Not sure on prices/licensing. Their website requires you to register.

Tripp Woelfel August 20th, 2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Moretti (Post 1237091)

It does. Look for it in Effects under Color Correction.

There's a separate license key that has to be entered to get it to work. I think it installs automagically with PP, but it's been a while since I installed it and I'm working with a very old brain.

Tony Spring August 20th, 2009 11:45 PM

NewBlueFX have a very good and cheap film looks plug-in.

Peter Moretti August 23rd, 2009 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devin Termini (Post 1247834)
I've heard that IRIDAS speed grade is another good tool.

Not sure on prices/licensing. Their website requires you to register.

IIRC, around $12K.

Paul Digges October 8th, 2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Moretti (Post 1258133)
IIRC, around $12K.

Dear god....

If the OP is looking for something cheap, Video Copilot has their Film Looks pack that is like 50 bucks or something. You can check out sample clips on their site. It's something I've considered buying. Works with AE.