DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   PC editing rig? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/2991-pc-editing-rig.html)

gabe_86_ August 2nd, 2002 08:26 PM

PC editing rig?

I'm just really getting started with DV and for now all I have is a PC....I have thought about buying a Mac G4 but I'm running a PC now and I'd really like to know what I would need to get my PC DV editing doable. My current system is running an 800 mhz Athalon with windows 98se, 30 GB hdd and 256 MB or SDRAM....I know for sure that I will need to up the processor speed and that's going to mean a new mobo since I have a slot processor now...but what I would really like to know about is how much RAM and what OS you all suggest me going to. That is if I stick with PC.

Thanks

Andrew Leigh August 3rd, 2002 12:06 AM

Hi,

I have a PIII @ 733MHz, 256 SDRAM and Win 98SE. No problems. I would get a larger HD as you need your Data Drive to be a seperate drive to your OS Drive. Get a good brand name and the largest capacity you can, a bonus would be a 7200rpm drive.

Get a capture card and editing software and you are editing. Make sure that the capture hardware talks to your MOBO chipset before you buy. There are noted problems with certain card vs. chipsets.

Edit for a while, establish your real needs then decide if you need to change your PC.

I could do with another 256 SDRAM to bring it up to 512 Meg.

Check the editing forums for cards and software suggestions.

I needed to get a decent video display card with overlay capabilities and a bit of memory (16Meg Voodoo 3 3000). This is no longer adequate for me and I would look for a 64 Meg card if you don't already have one that is.

My personal experience is that to have a rock solid system do some research and make sure all your hardware components are happy to talk to each other...before you buy any single component. This will save lots of money, time and frustration.

Cheers
Andrew

Chris Hurd August 3rd, 2002 09:55 AM

Check out the Canopus DVStorm at www.canopus.com

gabe_86_ August 3rd, 2002 09:37 PM

Quote:

I have a PIII @ 733MHz, 256 SDRAM and Win 98SE. No problems. I would get a larger HD as you need your Data Drive to be a seperate drive to your OS Drive. Get a good brand name and the largest capacity you can, a bonus would be a 7200rpm drive.

I've heard this a few times...about sepperating the OS drive and the data drive I've been planning on doing that but why is it that you need to do that?

Matt Betea August 3rd, 2002 11:20 PM

you don't NEED to do it. but anyone that values their work, will want to ensure that while capturing, the hdd isn't off worrying about the OS'es needs. another reason, is with the OS on a seperate physical drive or partition, if the system goes belly up and you have files you didn't back up, you can still get them. if you can't repair, you just do a quick reinstall on the same partition. all other partitions will be fully intact. some, like me, do it for superstitious reasons from back on nt4. that thing was rock solid when you got it going, but for some reason i never had good luck with an OS partition over 12gb.

Andrew Leigh August 4th, 2002 12:21 AM

Hi,

you have two IDE channels that can support 4 devices (2 and 2). When you have two devices sharing the same IDE channel, and therefore the same cable, data transfer is limited by the two way street. The ideal setting for video applications would be to have;

IDE channel 0 Master = Boot drive and Slave = CD Rom
IDE channel 1 Master = Data drives and Slave = whatever

Matt is correct you don't NEED but to good practice says you would WANT it so.

A 5400rpm drive is fine but if you have the money the 7200rpm will give you the edge on speed.

Cheers
Andrew