DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Is Boris Red 3GL worth all the money? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/30541-boris-red-3gl-worth-all-money.html)

Dan Melius August 14th, 2004 11:33 PM

Is Boris Red 3GL worth all the money?

Hi,

I just sent the below email off to the videoguys sales department. Perhaps someone here may comment on if buying Boris Red 3GL for 1499.00 or buying the adobe video collection Pro is a better deal. I currently do not own any Adobe products, but videoguys has the complete Adobe package including Adobe After effects pro for the same price. I currently only have Vegas 5 + DVD and Sound Forge 7.0.

My recent email:

I received all of my training DVD's and Vegas 5 + DVD and Sound Forge 7.0.

I do have a question on your Boris page.

For Boris Red 3GL, you have it listed for 1499.00.

Boris FX7 and Boris Graffiti Version 3 you have listed for 379.95.

Upgrading from any version of Boris FX and Graffiti to Boris Red 3GL for 949.00.

So in theory I could purchase Boris FX7 and Boris Graffiti Version 3 and then upgrade to Boris Red 3GL for a cheaper price than just buying Boris Red 3GL.

379.95 + 949.00 upgrade = 1328.95

This does not make sense at all to me. Even with the 1 dollar purchase for the 100 dollar training DVD with the purchase of Boris Red 3GL it would be 1500 dollars while the other way would be:

379.95 + 949.00 upgrade + 99.95 (training DVD)= 1428.00

Am I correct with this? It does not seem like there is any deal at ALL with going with Boris Red 3GL by its self.

I am still undecided on getting Boris Red 3GL or Adobe After Effects Pro. Do you know which program would give me the best results for video effects and proffesional 3D text. I don't want to get a program that is going to give me cheesy effects as I want to equal or surpass the effects of DVD motion menu's of the latest movies in DVD authoring.

Is Boris Red 3GL that much better than Adobe After Effects Pro? I can not use Adobe After Effect Pro as a plugin for vegas 5 but your bundle package for After Effects Pro also includes Adobe Premier Pro 1.5, Audition 1.5, and Photoshop CS and it is the SAME price of 1499.00.

Is there that much more to Boris Red 3GL that it is the same price as ALL of Adobe's programs combined including AFTER EFFECTS PRO?

Thanks in advance for any input on this as I am not sure at all what to go with.

Barry Rivadue August 21st, 2004 06:30 PM

(redundant question deleted!)

Dan Melius August 22nd, 2004 10:32 PM

As a follow up, I decided to go with the Adobe Video collection Pro, since I do not own any Adobe products. I also got a great deal on DVD training at the Video guys store as they now have over a hundred hours of training for 999 dollars that include total training for After effects pro, adobe Premier 1.5 pro, Photoshop CS, Audition, and Encore DVD. In addition I also have Vegas 5.0 plus DVD and Sound Forge 7.0.

My decision was solely based on the training as Boris Red 3GL might be a great program, but the one training DVD offered for it and no books that I could find written by others as opposed to 15 3 hour training DVD's for After Effects Pro means that I will be able to get up and running on After Effects pro a whole lot quicker than I would with Boris Red 3GL (if in fact I would ever be albe to get up and running on all it's features).

Also, I will not be limited to Vegas 5 or DVD architect for everything that I do and can pick and choose between Adobe programs and Vegas one's to get the best results from both worlds. If I find out what works best for certain things, I will be sure to post them as a great many people here are either die hard Adobe users or Vegas users.

Finally, the Boris plug in included with Vegas 5 doesn't seem to like my ATI 9700 Pro video card as it stated it was not supported upon installation of the plugin. This makes me quite happy in my decision not to purchase Boris Red 3GL.