DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Why is Vegas the only NLE with its own forum? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/30960-why-vegas-only-nle-its-own-forum.html)

Jim Underwood August 25th, 2004 12:28 AM

Why is Vegas the only NLE with its own forum?

Why is it that Vegas is the only NLE with its own forum?

Is it because it's the most popular NLE in this community?
Or is it because its users need the most help?

Is Vegas more difficult to learn than the rest?
Is it less stable, have more problems running?

It would be very interesting to run a poll in this community on which NLE you use, and why you selected it.

Michael Wisniewski August 25th, 2004 12:46 AM

Adobe Premiere has it's own forum. And Final Cut Pro basically has it's own forum in the Mac section.

Jim Underwood August 25th, 2004 12:59 AM

Sorry, missed the Premiere forum. Somehow the clever title went right over my head! :-)

So, are those the "big 3"?
-- Final Cut Pro
-- Vegas
-- Premiere

Michael Wisniewski August 25th, 2004 01:05 AM

My guess is the BIG 3 are

Avid
Final Cut Pro
Premiere

with Vegas bringing up the rear but gaining ground fast with an active user base. When I'm on DVINFO I feel like Vegas is a very popular NLE, and I'm a very big fan/user.

But, when I mingle at film festivals in New York, most people look at me like I come from another planet, when I mention that I use Vegas for video editing. It usually helps when I say that I'm using a new super-duper program called Vegas. Then everyone can nod their heads sagely and fake like they know what I'm talking about.

Ken Tanaka August 25th, 2004 01:14 AM

At this time those are the "big 3" that occupy concentrated bodies of discussion among our members here. Avid's various versions might someday represent a "big 4th". But, at least to-date, we don't see a need for a separate Avid forum. In general, we establish topical forums in response to the level of discussion we've seen on specific topics.

Regarding NLE selection we've had many such poll-type discussions on that subject over the years. So search around for them. But the reasons for most peoples' NLE selections tend not to be highly exotic or overly analytical. In brief, many of the Vegas editors arrived as immigrants from Premiere. Some FCP editors arrived from large Avid systems, while others selected FCP principally due to its Mac platform. Of course Adobe's decision to discontinue Premiere on the Mac has driven many to adopt FCP or Avid.

Our general philosophy: At the end of it all, viewers don't know or care what you used to edit something. So pick the richest editing platform you can comfortably afford, take the time and effort to learn everything about it and just get cracking with it.

Jim Underwood August 25th, 2004 03:10 AM

Hi Ken,

Thanks, that clears up a lot.

By poll, I meant a REAL poll, not a discussion thread. Don't know if this site has that capability or not. But it would be (at least to me) real interesting to see some hard numbers as to:

1. How many use each NLE
2. The reasons (from a selection list):
-- Most capabile NLE I can find
-- Easiest to use
-- Most affordable of the major NLEs
-- Required by my company/job
-- Recommended by a friend/colleague
3. Rate the NLEs you have personally used
4. Best Feature (select from list)
5. Worst Feature (select)

Stuff like that