DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Display problems (Matrox G550) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/3137-display-problems-matrox-g550.html)

Andrew Leigh August 12th, 2002 01:25 AM

Display problems (Matrox G550)

Hi,

I have bought and installed the Matrox G550 and am one unhappy camper. Could someone please help or perhaps explain if my expectations are way too high.

Reason for upgrading from the Voodoo 3 3000 was to get better image quality on the monitor (and to have dual screens). The monitor by the way is a Phillips 107S 17" and the setup is 1024 x 768 with 32 bit True Colour and a screen refresh rate of 85Hz.

There were two problems on the Voodoo which appeared to be interrelated. The first was an irritating "ghosting" of things that moved with reasonable rapidity. So a dog running on the beach would show ghosting on the legs. The second was pixelation under the same conditions. Fast moving things would either ghost or block.

I bought the G550 in an attempt to remove this problem but no luck. I tried to change my screen resolution to 640 x 480 and the problem gets even worse. This problem manifests in RapVideo, Windows Media Player (the worst) and Premiere.

What am I doing wrong, are there basic setting I don't know about?

Do I expect too much from the card?

Help.

Cheers
Andrew

PS: Asus P3V4X, PIII @ 733MHz, 512Ram, SB Player, DVRaptor, Win98SE, Premiere 6

Adrian Douglas August 12th, 2002 08:06 AM

Andrew, try dropping your colour to 24bit. Over the years I've encountered a number of problems with multimedia software and 32bit color. Why? Someone explained it to me at college, but I was in the middle of a Director project so didn't really listen.

Dan Holly August 12th, 2002 11:11 AM

screen shot

I'd like to see a screen shot of your issue before giving you any kind of suggestions..........

Is that possible?

James Rulison August 12th, 2002 12:01 PM

I am guessing that you already have checked the basics like Bios updates and driver updates? Have you also checked to see if any other device was sharing the IRQ settings?

Best,
Big James

Andrew Leigh August 12th, 2002 02:16 PM

Hi all,

thanks for the responses. Will try the screen shot, but will have to try find the clip as I think I may have deleted the one in question. Yup the IRQ's etc are OK.

After 18 months of rock solid performance on my machine I am now getting the "BLUE SCREENS" with the classic fatal errors along with page fault messages quoting the G550.drv.

I am so careful on what goes onto my machine and to have the thing fall over really makes me real happy.

Cheers
Andrew

Rick O'Brien August 31st, 2002 10:01 PM

You may have some driver elements left hanging around from your last card.
Check the Matrox site. They have some trouble shooting utitlities there and updated drivers.

Andrew Leigh August 31st, 2002 11:58 PM

Hi Rick,

did a format c: just to be sure that nothing else was causing problems. Unplugged all card bar the Matrox and strated from scratch, the first boot after having installed the drivers hung my machine. That convinced me so I took it back and bought a GeForce 4 Ti 4200. No problems.

Thanks for the thought....would have prefered the Matrox however but don't think it was destined to work in my machine.

Cheers
Andrew