DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   NLE & active anti-virus software - don't mix! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/31793-nle-active-anti-virus-software-dont-mix.html)

James Emory September 12th, 2004 02:06 AM

NLE & active anti-virus software - don't mix!

Well maybe a few of you have already exerienced this but if not, here is a helpful hint. I was dropping alot of frames when loading some video and couldn't figure out why. Well after loading and reloading and almost giving up, I remembered that I just started using an anti-virus software utility and it was active. Apparently, it tries to scan or interact with the video while it's being loaded thinking it is an attack on the system. I never thought about it that way but now it makes sense. As soon as I deactivated it, the problem went away. So, if you're experiencing dropped frames it could be a slow hard drive or an application such as this that is running and doing its job, a little too well.

Lars Siden September 14th, 2004 11:52 AM

Hi,

I've been using the following antivirus sw:

NOD32 v2.0
Norton Antivirus 2003+2004
Mcafee Viruscan Pro v8+

Had absolutely no problems with NLE/Capture. All AV software default configured. I also have a software firewall(+ a HW firewall...my computer is my fortress! )

// Lazze \\

James Emory September 14th, 2004 05:06 PM

So your Norton was running or scanning while you were capturing and you had no issues? I'm not totally positive that's what my problem was but it only happened after I started using anti-virus and stopped when I temporarily turn it off for capturing.

Lars Siden September 15th, 2004 04:21 AM

Hello James,

I guess it all depends on how much extra cpu/hdd power the machine got. It is of uttermost importancy that the drives are all running the latest drivers and that they all are Ultra-Dma drives ( DMA = Direct Memory Access -> less CPU consuming ). The AV software usually is hardest on the system drive - so it is a good thing having capture/scratch disk on another drive.

I'm running a P4@3.2ghz with 2gb memory.

The AV software that is the least resource consuming is NOD32.

Best regards,

Lazze Z

James Emory September 15th, 2004 09:33 AM

Well, this situation involves a laptop and I don't have any external drives. My desktop NLE doesn't have anything other than it's editing software because that's all it is for, editing video, so no problems there. It is not allowed to access the internet. The solution to my problem has just been to turn off the Norton while I capture on my laptop.

Cosmin Rotaru September 16th, 2004 07:50 AM

the latest NAV (I think it is the latest..) is known to eat a lot! :)

Glenn Chan September 16th, 2004 07:18 PM

AVG Antivirus Free uses less resources than NAV and it's free. It scans much faster (nearly all AV software out there do), has no activation, is free, and may not find as many viruses.

You could also disable the real-time scanning features of your AV software. You really don't need it if you scan all your downloads and emails and are set to do automatic updates and automatic scans every once in a while.