need new editing system recommendations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 1st, 2004, 04:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

need new editing system recommendations

I have been using a Matrox RT2000 for video editing and I want to upgrade.

I would like to get a software based program only to avoid all of the hardware compatibility problems if possible. I know a lot of that has been fixed, but I was hoping to eliminate it if possible.

This is for feature film work. I need really good color correction tools as well as audio. I do not any 3d effects or stuff like that, just simple cuts and occasional transitions.

I use an external 120gb Medea VideoRaid for video storage.

PC based.

I will be buying a new computer. Without the Matrox and other cards, do these programs work in real time? I would like to do color corrections/audio work in real time. I would also like the output back to DV to be real-time, but I think that is pushing it.

I have been focusing on Vegas as my new system. The Avid is more expensive and I would rather put that money into the computer if it is going to help.

Suggestions?
Jim Exton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 05:23 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Which version of Avid are you looking at Avid XpressDV, XpressDV Pro, or XpressDV Pro with Mojo?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 12:33 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Jim: I can tell you from personal experience that the Canopus Edius software will give you excellent real-time capabilities, including real-time to DV out, on a sufficiently fast PC. (I use it on my laptop.) Unfortunately, its audio tools are a bit weak, so you might need to output to another program for that step if you did use Edius. As another alternative, Adobe Premiere Pro reportedly does reasonably well without special hardware support. Pinnacle Liquid Edition also gets good reviews, but I tried it and didn't care much for it. Vegas probably has the best audio tools but arguably the least real-time performance, depending on how you look at the way Vegas handles things.

If you go ahead and put your new computer together first, you could then download the software demos for all the various editing applications and see which one works best for your needs on the new system.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 11:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Richard,
I was looking at just ExpressDV Pro. That is itself is $1600, I didn't really want to have to shell out for the Mojo.

Kevin,
I have no problem using two seperate programs. Like I said, I need awesome color correction as well as sound, so if I have to use a seperate audio program that is fine.
Jim Exton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 02:01 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I thought since you were doint traditional narrative cutting, you would be more interested in XpressDV, around $695 I believe.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 03:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Richard - The only problem with XpressDV is the lack of 24p support. Can I buy software that will make up for that? DV filmmaker?

Other than that, I would have no problem with XpressDV and would probably go with it.
Jim Exton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC