DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Upgrading RAM (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/33457-upgrading-ram.html)

Kevin Gilvear October 14th, 2004 02:06 PM

Upgrading RAM

Hey,

I have a sony viao PCG-FR315B laptop and I'm thinking of upgrading it because I'll need to when I get some editing software and have to store my movie files.

I'm looking at getting an extra 80-100GB or so external hard drive and also upgrading to 512mb Ram.

Currently I have 256MB RAM and this looks liek the most difficult thing to upgrade. Is it really a neccesity? Will the pc perform well enough on the RAM it has or will I definetly need more? Obviously I don't want slow down or anything but I am assuming that might be the case here if I leave it as it is?

Thanks

Imran Zaidi October 14th, 2004 02:11 PM

You 'can' run on 256, but you 'should' have 512. Obviously drive space is more critical, so if it's between the two, go for the drive space first.

Kevin Gilvear October 14th, 2004 02:15 PM

ok cheers. I'll try that first. I just hope when I'm editing a film it doesn't go mental on me.

Glenn Chan October 14th, 2004 03:31 PM

Which NLE?

With Vegas, 256MB is fine.
With Premiere Pro, probably not. Check with Premiere forums on that, although I believe Premiere is a resource guzzler.

Kevin Gilvear October 14th, 2004 03:45 PM

NLE?

OK well i'll go with vegas then and see how that goes nearer the time.
Thanks

Glenn Chan October 14th, 2004 06:50 PM

NLE = lazy way of saying editing software.

Rob Lohman October 18th, 2004 07:23 AM

Non Linear Editor

Keep in mind that laptops have different (sized) components than
normal PC's. So make sure whatever you buy can be put in your
laptop. Normally you would let a computer shop or your laptop
manufacturer take care of things like that.

Especially memory can be a very tricky thing if you are going with
a different brand. Be very carefull with that!

Kevin Gilvear October 18th, 2004 10:45 AM

I've managed to find a chip that can be easily fit underneath the laptop and I've spoken to sony help centre. I've found a decent external hard drive too, so I just have to get the money together and buy those.

Thanks for the help.

Bill Ravens October 18th, 2004 11:12 AM

FWIW....

I've found that anything less than 1 Gig RAM is a problem. Obviously, it depends on the type of source images.

Kevin Gilvear October 18th, 2004 11:19 AM

Well with what I'll be getting (512) it will up the overall to over 700. Will this be enough to run, say Sony Vegas and a few effects programmes if need be? It'll only be used for converting and editing.

Bill Ravens October 18th, 2004 11:41 AM

oughta be just fine. it's simply a performance issue.

Kevin Gilvear October 18th, 2004 11:45 AM

Cool thanks

Yi Fong Yu October 19th, 2004 11:05 PM

windows XP any flavor runs OK on 512 but will choke on 256mb. yesh even if you're typing papers and saving them, browsing internet, etc.. for editing i highly recommend 1GB to cover the overheads.

Imran Zaidi October 20th, 2004 07:05 AM

Oh you don't HAVE to have 1Gb. I'm finally upgrading to a system that has 1Gb but I've been running very well with no problems, slowdowns or crashes on a 512Mb system. You can keep an eye on the Task Manager for that sort of stuff. 1Gb is nice, definitely, but if you're on a budget there's no reason to sweat profusely over it.

Yi Fong Yu October 20th, 2004 07:24 AM

you don't HAVE to have 1GB just like you don't HAVE to have 512mb but if you look at the task manager when you have 1gb windows sure is taking up a lot of space. i think WXPP really needs to go on a diet. it's TOO FAT!

512mb makes windows XP bearable... but 1gb makes windows XP comfortable.