Windows Media Player/Premiere Pro Jitery video... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 12th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #1
New Boot

Windows Media Player/Premiere Pro Jitery video...

I just discovered that my windows media player and premiere pro are playing my dv video poorly and I have no clue on what is going on!

Backstory: I am using a GL2 here at work and edit using Premiere Pro and After Effecst on a PC.

So I have been playing with this camera for a little while and have been unimpressed with the quality due to jittery/usntable images...pulses, jittery edges, etc. I had just come to accept it. I filmed a few minute worth of footage earlier, captured it and reviewed it. Same quality i've been seeing. It looks the same in premiere pro and windows media player. It also looks as if it is deinterlacing it during playback. Anyway, I open the footage up in after effects and review it and BAM! The quality is much better...the text isn't jumping or shifting at all and you can see the interlacing lines during movement. The static objects are crisp and you see no pixel shifting or movement. I just went back and previewed older footage in after effects and now I'm impressed with this camera...wow. I've just been viewing a crapitized version of the video.

Anyone know why premiere and media player isn't playing the video correctly?? Sorry if this is a total newb question but this totally caught me off guard.
Keravin Peravin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 02:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi,

I belive that you've answered your own question - what you're seeing is most likely interlacing artifacts. When I playback interlaced video with Premiere or Windows MP I got this flickering line at the top + "combing effect". I deal with it like this:

1. If the video is intended for computer display only - then de-interlace it using tool X ( in your case I'd recommend using AE )

2. If intented for DVD/TV - no big deal - it will look just fine then

3. Best result for viewing interlaced media on the computer: Power DVD IMHO

// Lazze \\
Lars Siden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 02:33 PM   #3
New Boot

Maybe it's the combine effect I'm viewing. But weird that After Effect plays it perfectly and not premiere. I'll get power dvd and try viewing my video that way.
Old November 13th, 2004, 10:11 PM   #4
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Lars Siden : Hi,

3. Best result for viewing interlaced media on the computer: Power DVD IMHO

// Lazze \\ -->>>

I tried using Power DVD but it still displayed it incorrectly.
Old November 14th, 2004, 11:34 PM   #5
Trustee

software dvd players are usually for interlaced mpeg2, what you have is an interlaced avi file.

you should never use a pc monitor for evaluating dv footage, regardless of the software player you use.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC