New NLE's Why do they all want to conform at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 13th, 2004, 08:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New NLE's Why do they all want to conform

Why do Adobe Premiere Pro and Avid Dvxpress make me wait 10 minutes at the start of a project conforming my files. I just want to import them and start editing.

Is there anyway to stop this? If not ill just stikc to Premiere 6.5

Thankyou
Brendan Sundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 09:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Premiere Pro converts your audio to 32-bit floating point by design. Yes you'll have to wait.

I am an Avid virgin, so I can't speak on it.

Premiere 6.5: I find Premiere Pro and Vegas to be much, much better. Premiere 6.5 is a little annoying since it lets you lose sync when you delete video (tracks above may not ripple... it lets you move audio out of sync without having to unlock/ungroup it first).

2- Where are you getting footage from?

If you are working with DV footage on tapes, try capturing with the NLE you want to edit in.

3- Vegas conforms footage really fast (faster than Final Cut and Premiere). It doesn't convert your audio like Premiere does but it builds audio waveforms when you put footage into the timeline. You can edit away while the waveform is being built, or you can cancel it if you don't like waveforms.

I understand you're probably not going to pay for Vegas so that may not be of much use.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 03:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks

Whats is 32 bit floating point?
Brendan Sundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #4
Inner Circle

See http://stevehollasch.com/cgindex/coding/ieeefloat.html

That knowledge is not very practical. Just know that any decent audio program will render your audio with 32-bit floating point numbers (they are big numbers). Most or nearly all editing programs will do that.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 11:49 PM   #5
Trustee

i do not have any sync problems when editing with premiere 6.5... and speaking of sync, premiere 6.5 has the magnet function, which cannot be duplicated in vegas... you have to do several clicks to line up new clips in vegas, for every single edit, while they automatically line up in premiere without any keyclicks.

you will also find that the titler in premiere 6.5 is way better than the titler in vegas, in several different respects.

that said, i would probably still take vegas over both premiere pro and dvxpress... just be aware that vegas is real slow at rendering footage, especially if you try to do 3-d stuff.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC