DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   New Premier PRO system (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/35002-new-premier-pro-system.html)

wefdenver November 15th, 2004 01:27 PM

New Premier PRO system

I am thining of ordering a custom pc via an online store named BuyDirectPC. Has anyone dealt with that site? If so do you recommend it? Will the following specs be sufficient to run Premier Pro?

Pentium 4 3.2ghz HT
1 gig dual channel memory
80gb system Hard Drive (Serial ATA)7200 rpm
200gb video Hard Drive (Serial ATA) 7200 rpm
16x dual dvd +- RW
ATI Radeon 9550 256mb AGP 8x, DVI-I S-Video out video card
Firewire ports (6/4 pin)
XP Pro SP2
Onboard 6 channel audio

I would hate to order it, not have it work, then have to send it back and be charged the restocking fee.

Thanks in advance for you assistance.

WF

Glenn Chan November 15th, 2004 06:36 PM

Video card: You should check to see if it's a dual monitor card if you wish to run dual monitors. Some vendors label them nicely, so it'll mention both DVI(-I) and VGA in the description.

*For Premiere Pro, you should get the shareware utility Ultramon. Otherwise dual monitors won't work well with PPro.

2- If you plan to use a hardware acceleration card like the Matrox RTX100, carefully research whether your combination is compatible. I would probably try to use an Intel motherboard in that case to avoid problems (Intel motherboards are more expensive though).

3- No idea about BuyDirectPC, but some people do recommend Monarch Computers. They charge decent street prices for parts + $50 build fee. They have a good rating on resellerratings.com. Some people report they take a little time to assemble your computer.

4- You should mention which motherboard you plan on using.

Tim Borek November 16th, 2004 03:47 PM

Wary of XP SP 2

I've heard that WIndows XP, SP2 isn't a good platform for NLE software, as most of the current software code wasn't written with SP2 in mind. When system integrators start using it, then I'd feel safe building a system running it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Lars Siden November 17th, 2004 02:59 AM

Hi Tim,

I use Win XP SP2 on both my machines - no probs. Using Vegas 5.0 and P Pro 1.5 and AE 6.5 + Photoshop CS

// Lazze \\

Ed Smith November 17th, 2004 05:02 AM

I think Adobe Encore had a few problems with its help file with XP SP2. However I think there is a work around/ fix for it now.

I would strongly suggest that you take a look at Adobes system recomendations, and if you plan on using an RTX 100 then take a look at Matrox's site.

Thanks,

Viktor Carlquist November 18th, 2004 01:56 AM

SATA is good. Fast and easy.

Its even better if you have 2 drives in RAID 0 though. It wil act as 1 physical device to windows, but it can read/write to two drives at the same time. It won´t be exactly double speed, but about 1.6 times the speed of using one drive.

I have 2 Seagate Baracuda 200Gb as one volume on my computer and it kicks ass! Disk IO is no longer a bottleneck in my system.

And so you know, 6 channel audio is not the same as 5.1 audio.
6 channel means channels like: Wave input, Mic Input, Line In, CD Player. I misunderstood this when I bought mine...