DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Still hoping for help on the hardware/software interface. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/3546-still-hoping-help-hardware-software-interface.html)

Vidterry September 4th, 2002 06:30 PM

Still hoping for help on the hardware/software interface.

Seems like my problem should be a simple one to resolve, for almost anyone who has been where I now am...but perhaps it is just too funky a problem, and no one has insight.

Seems like a simple enough thing to hook GL2 to firewire port, and capture vidfile in one or another of video editing programs. Thing is, none is recognizing that the camera is hooked into the system. Win2kPro says the firewire card is functioning properly. There has to be a driver issue...but no driver files came with the camera. On hardware install process, driver file is found in windows (apparently), but system cannot complete the driver install before error message comes up.

So here is what I need now: If I am to start the whole installation procedure over from square one...as many here have in the past...what should I do to insure that I get everything working properly? (problem seems completely independent of the video editing program...but could that be wrong?)

This camera is making a terrific hi-tech paperweight right now...and I would sure like to get some of this tape I've shot into the puter to see what I can do with it.

Please, someone must have some idea how to hook a vidcam to Win2kPro and get it recognized.

Terry in Iowa

Marc Betz September 4th, 2002 07:24 PM

Go here!

http://www.canondv.com/downloads/camcorder_software.html

If you need the driver, that should do it.

Good luck

Marc

Rob Lohman September 5th, 2002 02:57 AM

I have looked a bit at that driver and it appears to be a USB
driver for the GL2. Now I personally do not know if that camera
has a USB port. This driver appears to be so that you can
get the digital photos off the camera. So it should not help with
capturing the VIDEO stream of the camera through firewire.

Althought you can surely give it a try ofcourse.

Vidterry September 5th, 2002 10:15 AM

Canon driver...

I believe you are correct, it is a USB driver. The GL2 can capture stills to either memory card or to tape. When the card is used, the stills are moved to puter via USB.

I still need to find the firewire driver for Microsoft which will let the puter and the vidcam talk to each other. This is like an early space shuttle problem, when everything is fine EXCEPT that the software doesn't allow communication.

And it is frustrating.

Terry in Iowa

Rob Lohman September 6th, 2002 01:46 AM

Terry.... I highly doubt that there will come a driver and that
you need one. That would be the first DV camera that needs a
driver to operate. Firewire, DV and OHCI compliant NLE's should
just work with eachother. Perhaps it is wise to test different
software, different firewire card and cable?

Jeff Donald September 6th, 2002 05:27 AM

You may have to reinstall Windows 2000. The FireWire drivers are included in the OS. In a few rare cases I've seen special drivers that came with the FireWire card. Customer Service with the FireWire Board mfg. may be a source for insight into your problem. The exact error message may help them in diagnosing your problem. Reinstalling the OS (not fun I know) should solve your problems by installing the necessary drives in the proper location.

Jeff

Dan Holly September 6th, 2002 11:00 AM

or, another suggestion

Make sure you are up to the latest version of Win2k from Microsoft. Update to SP3 (or whatever version they are on now).

You should be able to find this on Microsoft's site under windows 2000 updates.

Hope it helps..........I'm running XP-Pro on my editing machine, but use 2000 on my laptop for field work and have never had an issue like you speak of (but I don't have a GL2).

Bill Ravens September 6th, 2002 01:39 PM

B4 you do a complete re-install, right click on MY COMPUTER and select MANAGE. From the window that opens, select the DEVICE MANAGER and then look at the ieee1394 device. If it doesn't say "OHCI compatible ieee1394 device", you've found your problem. If this is not an OHCI compatible card, it won't work, no way, no how. If you know that it *is* an OHCI compatible card, select UPDATE DRIVER and follow the path to the right OHCI driver that's stored(by default M$ puts it in there) in your winnt/system32 directory.