DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Firewire card works...but no camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/35746-firewire-card-works-but-no-camera.html)

Tao-ming Lin December 1st, 2004 10:06 AM

Firewire card works...but no camera

Everything was working fine, I was capturing via my firewire card from my DVX100 to Premiere Pro 1.5 on XP.

Then I upgraded my CPU and motherboard from P4 1.5 to a P4 3.2 (old and new motherboards are both Asus). Obviously I had to reinstall XP, Premiere, etc.

Now, when I plug my camera into the firewire port...no response. Nothing. System says the card's plugged in and working properly, but nothing.

I've tried fiddling with the 1394 settings, firewalls, swapping cards around, all to no avail. This is really getting on my nerves. There's just no reason for this to be happening.

Glenn Chan December 1st, 2004 04:00 PM

You could try grabbing a (new) firewire card to swap in. They're fairly cheap on pricewatch.com.

Tao-ming Lin December 1st, 2004 08:12 PM

Thanks, Glenn, I'll try that tonight to see if it works. Thing is, there's nothing wrong with this one; it worked with the old setup, so I'm wondering if that's the problem, or is it a settings problems.

We'll see, I guess.

Glenn Chan December 1st, 2004 08:17 PM

You could try swapping a different camera and firewire cable too.

If that doesn't do anything then start looking at software/configuration settings, or really simple things like no power or pushing the wrong buttons or trying the firewire port on your case (it won't work if not connected).

Tao-ming Lin December 1st, 2004 08:33 PM

I only have the one camera, so I'm kind of stuck there. However, I've tried two different cables, at least one of which I know worked before the upgrade. The card itself appears (according to XP system/hardware) to be plugged in and working. My camera, of course, was on and in the proper mode for capturing. My guess is that it's some kind of settings thing from a seemingly unrelated area of the system, but for the life of me I can't figure out what.

My friend has a firewire card I'm going to try tonight. If that works it means that this CPU/motherboard won't work with my particular card I guess. Anyone have any suggestions for a good universal firewire card that works with newer ASUS motherboards and P4 chips?

Tao-ming Lin December 2nd, 2004 08:57 AM

I tried another firewire card and it worked, but only after I took out the ethernet card. This is fine as the new motherboard has its own outlet for adsl cord. Still, weird. Thanks for your advice.

Ignacio Rodriguez December 2nd, 2004 10:20 AM

Try turning the camera off and back on with Premiere open. This worked for me at a friend's.

Tao-ming Lin December 2nd, 2004 10:31 AM

It works now, though my adsl routed through the motherboard internet port is now suddenly as slow as dialup. One problem causes another I guess.

Glenn Chan December 3rd, 2004 08:01 PM

It might be that your network card was having an IRQ conflict with your firewire card. To fix this:
A- Simply move the cards around the various slots. Certain slots are hard-wired so they HAVE to share an IRQ (which opens the possibility for an IRQ conflict).
B- To check whether your hardware is sharing IRQs (sometimes a problem), go to run --> msinfo32 (type in and hit enter) --> expand hardware resources --> expand "IRQs"

If your cards are using the same IRQ then move em around.

Jani Rosnell December 8th, 2004 01:03 PM

ALSO THE SAME PROB...

Downloaded Premiere Pro 1.5 Tryout and installed it.
My prob is that my JVC-GRD50 does work with premiere only partially:
In Capture-setting it says that camera is online. Still it reacts only every now and then when clicking rew,fwd,play,stop and so... Also capture window is black and timecode doesnt run at all.

This text appears above capture window:CANT ACTIVATE RECORDER; TRY RESETTING CAMERA.
I reset my cam, switch firewire ports,install cameras own drivers and nothing....

Everything worked fine with Premiere Pro 1.0 and also ImageMixer, which came with my camcorder, works just fine with my cam, both USB and Firewire.

I changed my Mobo too few days ago...could it be it...?

HELP!?

Ignacio Rodriguez December 8th, 2004 01:17 PM

You might want to try fooling around with the Device Control setting, try something different that "generic". Also, move the cable around. Sounds stupid but actually not al FW cables are created equal.

Jani Rosnell December 8th, 2004 01:29 PM

Tried to change device already; generic,jvc, whatever...
Also tried all 3 firewire ports already... :(
Even changed firewire card irself to 2 different pci slots.

EDIT: Also tried to capture with SCLive and it worked just fine so it's not hardware issue , I guess.....

EDIT2:SOLUTION HAS BEEN FOUND!!!! B)

There was some conflict with some other proggy (dunno exactly what it was because I uninstalled several, including SLD-codec pack and Sentinel system driver...).

Works fine now! Thank you guys anyway!