Portable HDD as the seperate physical HDD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 16th, 2004, 08:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Portable HDD as the seperate physical HDD

hi all,

My knowledge tells me that Premiere should be install in physical HDD 1, and the footage of physical HDD 2. so that it would be faster when i am doing my editing and less likely yo crash. I am using Win Xp Pro and Premiere Pro.

My question is for the Physical HDD 2, are there any issues I need to consider if i decides to use a portable HDD? maybe a 120GB PORTABLE HDD. Will it hinder anything? Will Premiere face some problems?

thanks!!!
Ong Wan Shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2004, 03:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi,

Generally I'd say it will be just fine. For a more in-depth look and some info on what to buy, please check:

http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20041206/index.html

// Lazze
Lars Siden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2004, 10:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

+typical setup would be a 30 gig + maxtor with your software installed, and operating system. They you would hae installed a second large drive, 100 gig+, 8meg cashe pref. You may like to configure it as a slave on the same ide connection as the master hard drive, or better, on a seperate ide port, or even serial ata if your board has it.
You were talking about portable, i was a little unsure what you were on about to be honest. But im guessing your interested in portable storage. Here you could use a firewire/ usb case device, or a removable hard drive caddy. Basically these are cases that you put your video hard disk in them.
The first type has a wire that runs into your computers firewire, or some connect to a usb 2 port. I saw one today that did both and was £30, a very good deal. Obviously you would have to buy the hard drive aswell. There are various types available with hard drive included, but cost more and are no better.
Works really well, fast and reliable. However. Disconnecting your firewire or usb device whilst the computer is running can lead to hard drive error, and the loss of alll data. Usuallly the drives can be fixed, but data is lost. You have to close the device on your machine, or shut it down, before disconnecting.
The other option is the removable hard drive caddy. Here one section fits in a notmal cd rom sized aby on the front of the computer. The other section you fit with a hard drive, and it simply slides in. It then locks into place with a key. Note some devices do not work until you lock the key. You can then close down the device, or shut down windows, and remove and change hard drives between computers with minimal fuss. These cases cost from 9 to 29 quid here in the uk.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC