Help build my system! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 14th, 2002, 07:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Help build my system!

I am into hosting and producing Outdoor Videos (Fishing, Hunting, Rafting etc). My finished videos are 45-60 minutes in length and are packaged and sold retail in stores like LL Bean, Cabela' etc. In the past we have leased camera equipment and editing sytems to produce these videos. We are now in a position to go out and purchase the equipment. We plan to shoot the video on either an XL1s or a Sony 150.
I have watched this forum for the past several months and have seen some great comments on editing systems. I'm looking for some suggestions for what I might consider for a "Turnkey" system, trying to stay within a reasonable budget. So here's the challenge: how about a list of the essentials for both hardware and software that I will need.
I also would be very interested if any of you have a system out there that you are looking to sell!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and help.
Old September 14th, 2002, 08:48 AM   #2
Slash Rules!

Vegas Video 3 is a fine piece of software for the PC -- if you're not doing multiple edits (online, offline etc.) that might be something to base your system on ($470 or so). For about four times that price, you can get the AVID Xpress DV, which is a more advanced and professional. Also Premiere 6.

As for Turnkey, I know Sonic Foundry (makers of aforementioned Vegas Video) have one ($2500, $5000? I don't remember), as does avid (around $5000). I don't know if premiere has one. When I say turnkey, I mean a system dedicated to the use of the software, built just for that purpose. I'm not sure if this is the correct meaning of the word.

The other way to do it is buy the software and get a computer that can handle, but not a turnkey system. It seems this would be cheaper, but as my slogan says, I really have no idea what the hell I'm talking about.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2002, 10:21 AM   #3
_redone_

For turnkey i know DV Direct makes some pretty good turnkey systems, ive bought 2 machines from them for $10,000 a peice....this obviously were monster machines, you can probably get something good for around $2500- ...Ive always built my machines and spent around $1000 for everything, including monitor...If your not inclined to build your own...just go down to your local PC store or online, and have them use their parts to build one up for you..according to your specifications. That will save you the most money
and give you the most bang for your buck.
www.eatdrinkmedia.com
Adam Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 07:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

My post in a month late, but if you haven't made your NLE purchase... let me chime in.

As Chris Hurd has stated in several posts, it is much better to build a system around a specific card... and it doesn't cost much more to have a competent company build the system for you. (when I say competent, I am referring to their experience in NLE)

I had mine built by the 3D Shop in Atlanta, and I am very satisfied with the results. I know all the components are selected by compatibility; system is burnt in and tested; and intelligent support is only a phone call away.

They offer Pinnacle, Canopus and Matrox systems for sure, and some others that I can't remember.

A phone call to their General Manager, Tony Hale, will yield all the answers about NLE systems you could probably ask. You can reach Tony toll free at 888-326-4586. He's a super nice guy that will listen to what you're trying to do and offer suggestions to help you get the job done while staying within budget.

I highly recommend him!
Old October 15th, 2002, 06:10 PM   #5
Major Player

Doug,
Hi, I am in Marietta, so where is this 3D shop? What are they called.
Have you found any place good in town for camera equipment and such as well?

Thanks!
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 06:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew

They're in Norcross...

Since you're local, you might reach Tony at the 3D Shop at 770-368-8988.

They're full name is Leading Technology Micro, Inc.
5555 Oakbrook Parkway Suite 540.

I haven't been searching around for much camera equip lately, but I understand Showcase on Cheshire Bridge is a good place. KEH Camera Brokers might be another place to check out.
Old October 15th, 2002, 07:28 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks. Actually I was at Showcase the other day, not bad, rather large and well stocked on many items.
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2002, 10:28 PM   #8
Major Player

Jessie and Joan,
If you like, take a look at this site:
www.vi-pc.com
It sells different PCs customized for DV editing. You can choose a pre-configured PC or have them build with you. I dont think their web site is completely finished but they have a contact page where you could email or call them. Hope this helps!
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2002, 01:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Scott:

I think you meant your post for Jessie and Joan.

I hope I don't have to shop and build another one for a few more years!!
Old October 20th, 2002, 03:06 PM   #10
Major Player

Yeah that's it. Sorry Doug!
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC