DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Studio v 7.x, 8.x 9.x differences important or not? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/38032-studio-v-7-x-8-x-9-x-differences-important-not.html)

Mike Meglen January 20th, 2005 01:20 AM

Studio v 7.x, 8.x 9.x differences important or not?

Hoping I can get some good assitance or comparsions here to help me make a quick decision on editing software.

I have pretty much decided to play with Studio for the time being. I have Studio 7 SE, a trimmed version of full version.

I also can load a copy of Studio 8 if I can find the CD of course.

I see I can get an upgrade pretty cheap direct from Pinnacle. So I guess my question is what will I be getting? Will I get more tools for editing in the fuller version? Or I am going to get what I got with Adope Premier 5.x? Which from what I have experienced very nice application but not sure I will ever learn it quick enough and seems that the plugins are going to cost me more then the original Premier.

So any feedback would be greatly appriecated.

Mike

Travis Maynard January 20th, 2005 08:15 AM

I believe the only real difference with Pinnacle Studio 7 to 8&9 is DVD burning capability and some different color correcting options.(Most of which you have to buy).

My suggestion is if you have the money, purchase Premiere. I used Pinnacle for a long time and I had lost so much work on it cause of it being so buggy. I just started using Premiere and I regret wasting all my time with Pinnacle. Even if you have to save up for a bit longer, Premiere is worth it.

That's just my two cents.

Trond Saetre January 20th, 2005 09:21 AM

There is also a light version of Adobe Premiere, called Premiere Elements.

www.adobe.com/products/premiereel/main.html

Mike Meglen January 21st, 2005 12:12 AM

Travis,
Thanks for the information. I have Premiere 5.1 now, just seems like most Adobe products, there are additional plig-ins required most of the time.

Also seems like more then I want to deal with. I have learned Adobe products in the past, by the time I get good with them they upgrade and I am relearning the whole thing over again.

I might have to look at the light version for simple work and decide if I want to tackle really learning Premiere, thanks for the tip on that Trond.

Trouble is I think I have too many choices already loaded... time to unload some and learn one.

Gints Klimanis January 27th, 2005 07:03 PM

I don't see much of a difference in video editing between Studio7, 8, and 9, and I've used them all. Studio8 added DVD burning, though stick to revision 8.5.21 if you value your time. Studio9 was a glitz upgrade that simply inserted lots of teaser functions for which you have to pay more for. I find this really annoying.
For example, say you want to rotate a still image. Well, the editing tool allows you to do it. Then, you close the dialog box to find that the image isn't rotated. Ohhh, I have to rotate *and* go to the web site to buy image rotation. Ahhhh, I get it now.
Should have read the manual.

Studio is a great concept in integration of basic editing and DVD architecture and burning.
Though, really, it is suited for video and DVDs of very low editing complexity. Also, it has the annoying habit of rendering your entire project when you make small edits. I've moved to Vegas and DVD Architect after years of painful but successful usage of Studio. Studio is one of the most productive tools after you learn its limitations and bugs.