Premier pro, AE updates at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 3rd, 2005, 08:11 AM   #1
Major Player

Premier pro, AE updates

Does anyone know when these programs will be updated, Premier pro is behind in the HD world already.
thanks
Greg Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 09:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Premier pro, AE updates

<<<Does anyone know when these programs will be updated, Premier pro is behind in the HD world already.>>>

Behind what? Premiere Pro has one of the best HDV editing solutions currently available via the Cineform Aspect HD plugin, plus it supports Cineform Prospect HD for 10-bit HD editing and it supports Bluefish444 for uncompressed HD editing. From where I sit, it looks like Premiere Pro is farther along in dealing with HD content than just about any other alternative.

If you happen to be comparing to Apple's Final Cut Pro, note that the full version of that program doesn't even support HDV yet, well over a year after that format was introduced!
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #3
Major Player

ok, but how much do those plug-ins cost??? Kevin, whe you edit in HD, what do you do with the final product?? You can't put it on DVD because no HD DVD burners are out yet. And Im sure the next version of of ppro will be Premier Pro HD.
Old February 4th, 2005, 09:20 PM   #4
Inner Circle

<<<ok, but how much do those plug-ins cost??? >>>

Last I checked, the Cineform Aspect HD plugin by itself was selling for $499, or you can buy it with a complete Adobe software bundle for video editing, audio enhancement and DVD production for a mere $799. Not a bad deal for one of the most capable DV/HDV production solutions available today.

<<< whe you edit in HD, what do you do with the final product?? You can't put it on DVD because no HD DVD burners are out yet. And Im sure the next version of of ppro will be Premier Pro HD. -->>>

Actually, you can burn to a standard DVD in Windows Media or DivX HD format for playback on computers or the Avel LinkPlayer2. And sometime this month at least two companies are going to start shipping HD-capable standalone devices which are basically external hard drives with some video output ports built in, including HDTV component jacks. The whole issue with delivery options is still a little shaky, but it's starting to come together.

By the way, you still haven't said what you're comparing Premiere Pro to that you think is more advanced. I don't know of any other mainstream editing program with such a wide range of HD/HDV editing capabilities, and the next nearest thing is Canopus Edius. What exactly is it that you'd like to see Premiere Pro do that it can't do now?
Old February 7th, 2005, 06:42 AM   #5
Major Player

well sometime soon adobe has to have a premier pro HD and stop having a side plug-in. I wouldnt pay $500 for any kind of plug in, thats crazy. Im sure premier pro HD will be out by may.
Old February 7th, 2005, 07:56 AM   #6
Inner Circle

<<<-- well sometime soon adobe has to have a premier pro HD and stop having a side plug-in. I wouldnt pay $500 for any kind of plug in, thats crazy. Im sure premier pro HD will be out by may. -->>>

Interesting point, but is it really any worse to pay $799 for a complete HDV production suite compared to paying $999 for a "high definition" editing program which can't even edit HDV? (And doesn't come with DVD authoring?) Premiere Pro isn't the only program which requires third-party plugins to work with various video formats...
Old February 7th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #7
Major Player

Don't get me wrong, I would rather us PPRO for editing than Final Cut. Maybe HD is a little to advaced for me right now, I put my movies on DVD 5 and when HD DVDs come out and it's more popular. Thats when i'll be more into it I guess.
Old February 7th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Greg: Adobe has announced that they will soon release a free version of the Cineform HDV plugin, so there's another option coming that way. For more information about Adobe's approach to high-definition video, see this link:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/pdfs/hdprimer.pdf

The only issue I can see you might be wondering about is how Adobe deals with DVCProHD footage versus the direct support offered by Final Cut Pro HD. For that particular video format you could argue that FCP HD has a more practical solution than Premiere Pro, but then FCP HD is limited when dealing with other types of HD source material. So it's not accurate to say Adobe is "behind" anyone for dealing with HD, they just happen to have a different approach than, say, Apple.

Hope all this helps you make your own plans for working with HD/HDV footage at some point in the future.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC