Please suggest Low Cost $500~$1000 Realtime DV and MPEG2 Card. Thanks! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 27th, 2002, 09:44 AM   #1
Tourist

Please suggest Low Cost $500~$1000 Realtime DV and MPEG2 Card. Thanks!

I have a P4 1.5 512mb PC.
Please suggest a Low Cost $500~$1000 Realtime DV and MPEG2 Card. Thanks.
nyc11370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2002, 12:04 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Probably not what you want to hear BUT when it comes to RT cards I'd really recommend picking your card then building your PC around it. Adding a RT card to an existing PC is more often than not the source of much pain and anguish.... and i speak from experience :)

That said the Pinnacle DV500 is a nice “semi-RT” card available at a very reasonable price provided:
1)You don't want to do anything too flash - such as lots of 3d transitions and third party effects
2)You have a compatible motherboard and graphics card (see http://www.pinnaclesys.com for a list)

John
Old September 27th, 2002, 12:24 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

You're just in time for the Canopus DVStorm 2, true real-time DV output, editing, etc.; includes hardware-based MPEG encoding. A superb value at $1100.

See http://www.canopus.com/US/products/dvstorm_2/pm_dvstorm_2.asp

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2002, 10:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

>>have a P4 1.5 512mb PC.
<<
With your system, you can get 'realtime' using Vegas Video and an affordable 1394 card from companies like ADS or Soundblaster.
Save your money and get extra HardDrives. Vegas does realtime preview, and offers not only great video editing features, but great audio editing features too. Less of an issue which mobo you use too.
They are right in saying you should build your computer around the card if that is the route you choose. But with vegas, and an OHCI compliant 1394 card, you're set to go with what you have.

If you need realtime out to tape, then and only then would I consider an RT card. Other than that, your spending money on proprietary hardware that will be outdated within 18 months by advances in cpu speeds and dropping costs.

Vegas uses MS multimedia standards (DirectX) as it's plug in interface. They have an excellent DV codec, arguably the best on the market. Just a couterpoint for your consideration.

btw, VV3 works great on the new laptops with built in firewire.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2002, 10:37 AM   #5
Major Player

Currently, I have a Canopus DV Storm SE. They recently came out with Canopus 2, but I wont be getting it...my Storm is enough for me.

In many ways, the Canopus and increased my workflow, and in many ways it has actually decreased it. Getting these cards to work with your computer can be a time consuming process.
The Canopus is great because now I beleive the new version comes with a hardware MPEG encoder. The codec on the Canopus is also very high quality. But is it worth over $1,000? Not in my opinion. I got a deal and only spent 300 on it because Alienware screwed up my order big time.

I originally had a Matrox 2500 and getting that thing to work properly on my system was a nightmare. You must make sure that you check the motherboard compatibility list on these products or it may not work on your system. After some major tweaking I finally got my Matrox to work, but then ending up getting a new comp with the Canopus installed.

The advantages are realtime output, realtime multiple layers and color correction, mulitiple realtime effects and more.. If you want to save money, don't get the new version of the Canopus, Im sure you can find the old one for much cheaper on Ebay.
Old September 30th, 2002, 11:13 AM   #6
Tourist

Thanks for everyone's help !

Thanks for everyone's help !
nyc11370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2002, 02:39 AM   #7

Canopus dv storm 2

I hear that this not really a new card but just a add on. It is a software and encoder upgrade but uses the old dvstorm card. I think it kind of misleads people into thinking that they built a new card. After reading reviews and comments on both canopus and matrox board i am just gonna wait till they come up with something new.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC