background motion software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 22nd, 2005, 08:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

background motion software

I am looking for a way to make motion backgrounds, so I can lay stills on it for photo montages. I have seen digital juice products, so basically that is what I want. Problem being cost of there products are so expensive. I have used Photoshop to create backgrounds, but obviously they don't move. Is there a software that I can create moving backgrounds? I am using Adobe Premiere 6 also if that is of any help. So, that is what I will import them into and use to make my montages.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 10:02 PM   #2
Trustee

MainConcept has a compositing program called MainVision, which they say has a "unique Image Processor can be used to generate organic, looping background textures with a few mouse clicks." You can learn more at http://www.mainconcept.com/mainvision.shtml. I've never used it so I can't comment on it. They have some free texture loops that were probably created with that program available for download at http://www.mainconcept.com/texture_loops.shtml.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 11:01 PM   #3
Inner Circle

quite afew do this..
vegas with pixelans spicefilter FlowTexture, also Vegas compositing tools based on a displacement mapping routine works really well.. u can get similar results in after effects

umm.. particle illusion is one of the best applications i have ever used.. with bump mapping and displacement emitters, and practically unlimited use of emitters to generate digital images..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 11:09 PM   #4
Wrangler

Hi Richard,

I wasn't familiar with Digital Juice, but if the samples in this link on their web site is the kind of thing you're looking for:

http://www.digitaljuice.com/products...13&tab=t3#tabs

my thoughts would be that 1) yes, they are surprisingly expensive, and 2) they are so expensive because such 3D compositing work is complex enough to be a bit beyond most of us -- or at least not worth the time and effort to tackle for ourselves. Thus, for many of us, if we want it badly enough, we'll buy it.

MAYBE somebody with a real knack and a lot of time could do something almost as snazzy as these on Premiere 6, but I'm sure Digital Juice uses purpose-built 3D compositing software to create these in no time flat.

Me...I share your reservations about spending that much money for a short looping clip. Personally wouldn't even consider it without first fiddling around on PPro 1.5 and/or After Effects Pro 6.5 to try to make my own (maybe pulling in the various layers of my Photoshop files as separate clips/compositions in PPro/AE). The effects capabilities of these programs are commensurate with their high price. Although far from an expert, with time and effort I think I could probably fiddle with them enough to create SOMETHING along the lines of these Digital Juice Samples. Maybe not quite as complex and cool, but usable.

MainVision would seem to be a competitor to After Effects, but I haven't used MV. Maybe someone else has experience with it and can comment further on that.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 11:32 PM   #5
Inner Circle

If you shop around you can find discounts on Digital Juice products through various vendors: I just picked up one set for about $80 when purchased with the Ulead DVD Workshop 2 upgrade.

Also try Digital Hotcakes, which offers more reasonably priced backgrounds:

http://www.animationsforvideo.com/
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:38 AM   #6
Major Player

Sony has three free moving media backgrounds on their website:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...reevisions.asp

Might as well buy Vegas while you're there ; )
Old February 23rd, 2005, 05:48 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I checked main concept and that was cool. Around $200. Not bad .
Do you use this christopher? Do you think It will work ok, creating my motion backgrounds in it and using it in conjunction with premiere 6? Do you create avi as out put? Is there anything else to be aware of , snags, as far as what I want to use it for. I did also chek out particle illusion that was cool too.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC