Does anyone have a CyberPower or Hypersonic laptop? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 1st, 2005, 08:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Does anyone have a CyberPower or Hypersonic laptop?

I'm getting close to purchasing a new laptop and have been disappointed with the major manufacturers lack of systems that are geared towards digital media content creation.

I've found few laptops that even have the customizable option to have all of the key bases covered... at least within a reasonable budget.

I've set out to find something around this:

2GB (or equivalent) or higher CPU
1GB RAM
minimum 60GB 5400 (or better) rpm drive
SXGA+ or better resolution
USB 2.0 AND firewire port
Near 3 hours of battery runtime (2nd battery optional)

After some research I've landed at http://www.cyberpowersystem.com and http://www.hypersonic-pc.com which both have very customizable systems.

Of course since they're not a major vendor I'm finding it hard to get decent reviews and more importantly, reviews from people who would use it in a similar fashion.

Anyone here have any experience with either vendor? I'd be attaching an external HD and shooting direct to disk as well as using it for a monitor. I'd also be doing on-site edits using my NLE and making quick DVDs for on-site perusals.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin Kimmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 08:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Best Buy has a Sony laptop on sale this week with windowsXP and pent4 processor @3.2Ghz, 80gb harddrive, 525(?) worth of memory, upgradable to double that.......I think its pretty nice and its only $1,100 after rebates. Battery lasts only two hours though.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 08:44 AM   #3
Major Player

Averatec is a well made laptop. I've had mine for about 8 months now and am very pleased with it. They have a 3.0 Pentium HT with 512 ram, and a 60 gig, along with a dual format dvd burner, lots of usb, firewire, and a nice radeon 64mb card, also 15.4" wide screen display. Sams club is slleing them for around $1,100. It's a nice laptop, and you don't pay big bucks for a name.

Here'a the link:

http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?coe=0&oidPath=0%3a-23542%3a-33761%3a-38929%3a-41405%3a-41408%3a854428&mt=a&n=0&BV_SessionID=_SC_0740195645.1110897786_CS_&BV_EngineID=ccchaddedgjekhgcfkfcf kjdgoodflf.0

My Sams club actually has them cheaper then what the web advertises.
Todd Kivimaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC