turnkey laptops at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 14th, 2005, 09:49 AM   #1
Major Player

turnkey laptops

can anyone recommend a decent laptop for editing for around $1500. All I want to do on it is edit digital video and watch DVDs.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 10:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Much will depend on what you consider a 'decent' nle to be? To you have a preferred software? Premiere? Final Cut? Vegas? Avid? I-Movie?

Different NLE's have different requirements.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #3
Major Player

well, let me ask this first. Is it possible to put the editing sofware programs to an external hard drive and then hook it up to the laptop.
Old March 14th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Because of required registry entries and other needed files, that answer would be no unless you INSTALLED the software on each machine and pointed that installation to the same location on the external drive. You're better off installing the NLE on the local drive.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Usually, the software rests on the internal hardrive, and the media rests on external or 'extra' drives. This is the most efficient way to use an NLE.

Do you have a preferred NLE?
Old March 14th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the help Richard. I guess that I am a step ahead of myself. I think I hear most about Premiere so I will probably choose that one. I am someone who has become very ambitious about digital video and the editing process just through my research on trying to choose a camcorder. All I know for sure is that I am getting a Panasonic Gs400 and I would like to have a laptop editing machine to work on the video I shoot as a hobby when I am sitting in hotels, (which I do alot). I dont want to start out with just basic editing software. I want to be able to do pretty creative stuff (a little of everything). But not something so complicated that it would take someone with years of experience to use it. I am ground-zero brand new to this stuff but I am a quick study and I'm sure that I will enjoy creating with digital video.
Old March 14th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #7

Instead of just picking Premiere "because you've heard most about it", I recommend you download the demos of several and see which ones work best for you.

Adobe Premiere
Sony Vegas
Avid Express
Canopus Edius
Ulead

etc...
Old March 14th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #8
Major Player

I have checked out a book at the library that just came into print
(copyright 2005) Adobe Premiere Elements for Dummies by Keith Underdahl. So far this book says that this is a good start for low experience users like me but at the same time it was developed on the foundations of Premiere Pro. It says that Elements is NOT a dumbed down version of Pro and that little has been left out. This sounds like what I have been wanting and it fits my budget too. I think this sounds like a good place for me to start as far as NLE software. After the library I went to Best Buy and they have a Sony laptop on sale this week with specs that way exceed the minimum requirements for Premiere Elements. I am strongly considering this one now. I'm now going to do a search on here for Premiere Elements to see if/what people are saying about it.
Old March 14th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Premiere Elements is like photoshop elements. Not 'dummed down' but 'stripped down'. Same interface, fewer features. The same thing is available for Final Cut, they have Final Cut Express... lower price, same interface, fewer features.I know Final Cut Xpress can be upgraded to Pro at a later date... Don't know if Elements has that ability. Avid has AvidXpress FREE which, again is the same interface, but with absolute minimum features which is NOT upgradeable, but hey - it's free. Avid then has different price points for different packages. All of the other NLE's have free trial downloads, which usually time out after a while.

If you are planning on doing only short videos, then a basic laptop with single drive will probably do what you want. Later, you can add external drives for your media. The problem arises when you are trying to run the program, and access media on the same drive. It can create a bottleneck at times.
Old March 14th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Richard. I already have the thought of an external hard drive in the back of my mind. They seem affordable as far as I can tell. I don't know if they are all created equal but I will check'em out. I am going to start out shooting and editing videos of my 3 year old daughter (birthdays, playground, dance, etc) but I will also shoot experimental videos involving compositions, bluescreens, forced perspectives and things like this. This is where I feel I want to get the most creative. These special effect type (star wars) effects. I am the only one in my family that will have a video camera, much less the only one that will be doing editing and effects on a computer. I am gonna knock their socks off with this stuff.
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Steve,

When you start compositing, layering, muti-streams of effects, THATS when you need to have your media on a seperate drive from your os drive.

Just a heads up.
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #12

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Witt : I have checked out a book at the library that just came into print
(copyright 2005) Adobe Premiere Elements for Dummies by Keith Underdahl. So far this book says that this is a good start for low experience users like me but at the same time it was developed on the foundations of Premiere Pro. It says that Elements is NOT a dumbed down version of Pro and that little has been left out. This sounds like what I have been wanting and it fits my budget too. I think this sounds like a good place for me to start as far as NLE software. After the library I went to Best Buy and they have a Sony laptop on sale this week with specs that way exceed the minimum requirements for Premiere Elements. I am strongly considering this one now. I'm now going to do a search on here for Premiere Elements to see if/what people are saying about it. -->>>

Yes and Vegas Movie Studio is a stripped down version of Vegas for under $100. They all have stripped down versions for lower prices. My recommendation that you look at them all still stands.
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #13
Major Player

thanks Edward, thats great advice. It seems like I hear good things about each of the major NLE software programs and I'm glad to hear that each has their own stripped down versions for beginners like myself. I am definitely going to take your advice and check'em all out. Elements gripped my attention first though because Videomaker magazine rated it high among these begginer versions and secondly because I stumbled across this book at the library today. I'm not that easy though. I will keep investigating the other possibilities. Thanks again!!
Old March 15th, 2005, 06:42 PM   #14
Major Player

I have an HP ZD7000 Laptop and love it. Full Pentium 4 Processor (not scaled back M), 17" screen, 1GB of Ram and it has been great for my video productions. I paid $2400 last February maxed out, but you as of now you can get it from Costco.com for $1493 (+ $50 rebate and free shipping base price) with a killer 17" brightview screen. Costco is great also because if anything happens to the laptop or if you simply decide not to keep it, you can return it within 6 months.

http://www.costco.com/CTO/HPConfigurator.aspx?Prodid=10029570&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=4580&hierPath=84*4332*4580*&model=PF456AV
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC