Post Production Question. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 24th, 2005, 10:24 PM   #1
Tourist

Post Production Question.

Hello All,

I'm pretty new at this stuff and I had a question. This might sound dumb, but is it possible to take an image in post production and mirror it? I have thrown the idea around about making road signs, liscence plates etc. all backwards. Filming a small piece will some cars and mirroring it in post to seem as though it is in another country(other than the US that is). So the cars would be right hand drive instead of lefty. Is this possible? Thanks,

Dalton C.
Old March 24th, 2005, 11:30 PM   #2
Trustee

Depending on what NLE you are using, look for a filter called something like "Horizontal Flip" (in Premiere's Transform submenu) or "Flip horizontally" (in Virtual Dub).
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 01:33 AM   #3
Inner Circle

If you also want to flip the text on the license plate back to the right direction, you could superimpose the right text onto it.

To do this painlessly:

Put high-contrast crosses onto the license plate. Basically you just need something white with a black X on it.

In Combustion, After Effects, or similar program with 4-point motion tracking (i.e. Boris Red), you can now superimpose the right text onto the license plate. The superimposed license plate will follow the flipped one because of the motion tracking.

Lock the tripod off, and static things like street signs shouldn't be a big deal. Do a little Photoshop work to make images with text in the right/flipped orientation, and superimpose them on. If the shot is handheld then you could motion track those signs and things will look right.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #4
Tourist

Thanks for the replies. Actually, most of the shots will be hand held, real shaky. I just purchased the pro collection(adobe). I should have done it piece at a time. Lot less over bearing. Oh well. I will give these a try. Thanks again.

Dalton C.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC