Previewing the main timeline (curious) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 8th, 2002, 12:44 PM   #1
snafu005

Previewing the main timeline (curious)

I am pretty new to this whole DV editing thing. :)

I am using premiere 6.5
When trying a real time preview of the timeline, is it really choppy for everyone? I believe you need a super high end video card inorder to do real time previews?

So does everyone just do renders of sections they want to preview bit by bit? (damn that would take a long time for a long vid!)

thanks!:)
Old October 12th, 2002, 09:31 PM   #2
travisterwilligar

I've experienced that also... premiere is crap, but what else is there...
Old October 13th, 2002, 05:30 AM   #3
Warden

I do editing for clients and I have a few who use Premiere. I would guess that the lack of smoothness is two things. Get more ram, one client has 512 megs and the other has 1 gig. Are you working off of one drive? If so, get a seperate 7200rpm drive for media only. With all this said, are you looking at the playback on a seperate monitor or the screen? The playback from Premiere is not extremly hi res. The playback should be smooth and not stuttering or dropping frames. A high end video card is not the answer unless your a gamer. Video does not put high demands on video cards. So if the card is reasonably new (last 2 or 3 years) it will be fine.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2002, 08:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Jeff,

When you say one should be fine with a video card that is 2-3 years old, can you put that into specs? Mine is an Diamond Viper NVIDIA and is 32mb. Do you think that will do for now? I also plan to upgrade my RAM from 128. My system will take up to 768, do I need to go that high or will I be okay with less?
Thanks,
-SL
SammyLeopold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2002, 09:08 PM   #5
Warden

The 32mb video card should be fine for editing video in Premiere. I wouldn't go with any less than 512mb ram and I would say there in lies your problem. The 128mb you presently have is not near enough. How big and what size are your hard drives? The other cause of stuttering video on playback (especially RT video) is drives that are too slow, fragmented and too full.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC