16:9 ratio problem! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 8th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #1
Tourist

16:9 ratio problem!

Dear all,

I'm having a problem rendering my footage (Sony Vegas) - it was shot at a 16:9 ratio - when I view the raw footage through media player it comes out at a 16:9 ratio but, after editing with Vegas, the ratio of the edit is altered (squashed on the sides where it should be wider; ie it's not coming out widescreen) even though I have selected the following properties:

Pixel aspect ratio: 1.4568 (PAL DV WIDESCREEN)
Frame rate: 25.000 PAL.

Can anyone help me with what is going on? I need the final edit to be at a 16:9 ratio. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

M
Mark Polgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Mark,
If you shot in a 16:9 ratio, you should be setting the project properties to PAL DV widescreen, and (probably) rendering to PAL DV widescreen or DVD mpeg at a 16:9 aspect ratio.

What are you rendering to?
Does the Vegas preview show everything correctly before rendering?

If the Vegas preview shows the image compressed horizontally, Vegas doesn't recognise that its widescreen for some reason (maybe you used an anamorphic?). You need to tell it by selecting all the clips in the media pool and selecting the properties and setting the aspect ratio there.

What are you playing the clip in?
The other thing it could be is that windows media player doesn't play some things properly. If it's mpeg2 try playing it in a software dvd player.

Cheers.
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC