DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   "Writing Script "..! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/42980-writing-script.html)

Nick Underwood April 14th, 2005 02:50 PM

"Writing Script "..!

Anyone of you guys know of a way to make a sequence of "writing script"...as if you were writing letters with a pen. I'm after an effect like Disney has when it writes "Disney" for their logos...??!

Sorry...I haven't explained that too well...but hopefully you get the idea.

I want to "write" real time the names of the wedding party for a video; instead of just putting fonts on a screen....

Any ideas..?!

K. Forman April 14th, 2005 03:23 PM

If I'm thinking right, all you would need is a tablet, and the right software. I used a tablet for freehand drawing with Photoshop and Illustrator, and there are several programs that allow you to write in realtime. I'm not sure of the programs names, but sports anchors use them. Try "shopping" through your favorite video magazines and catalogues.

Richard Alvarez April 14th, 2005 03:38 PM

Boris Graffitti has a 'write on' ability. Some of the other FX programs do to.

K. Forman April 14th, 2005 04:02 PM

Gee... Maybe I should play with Grafitti more often. I've had it for a couple years, and never realized what it could do.

Richard Alvarez April 14th, 2005 04:29 PM

Keith,

There are lots of versions of Graffitti floating out there. The limited and early versions won't do this. And frankly, since it is often bundled in with other Boris Packages (Red, FX etc.) I am trying to remember it it's a function of Graffitti or Red... the interfaces being so similar and all. I do recall going to a Boris seminar, and they did the 'handwriting' onto the screen bit.
Best stop by the boris website and look up each programs abilitites.

Benjamin Durin April 14th, 2005 08:53 PM

You can achieve this effect with After Effects, but it maybe only in the Pro version.

Nick Underwood April 16th, 2005 10:40 AM

Thanks for the info guys....

I'm a liquid user and have never got my teeth into after effects....
Not sure if I can combine the two...but I'll try reading up on it.

Not sure if using a tablet would give me a nice smooth flowing effect that I'm after....my handwriting is appauling !!

I need a prog that will effectively "write" letters of a font...

Richard Alvarez April 16th, 2005 04:40 PM

Does liquid run Boris? I think so.... check out the new Graffitti 4. On boris.com

Rob Lohman April 18th, 2005 07:39 AM

If the letters allow for this (the L/H can give you problems for example) you
can simply use a left-to-right transition to kinda "fake" it.

In your case it probably won't work due to the letters like the g in that sentence.

Edward Troxel April 18th, 2005 06:04 PM

You might also take a look at Heroglyph. It will let you draw a path on-screen and then it can play it back using a paintbrush.