what's a great xeon mobo for dvstorm at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 14th, 2002, 04:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

what's a great xeon mobo for dvstorm

I now have the tyan S2460 running with a couple of 1900's. I am wondering and planning to upgrade to a dual Xeon4 2.4.

Is there anybody here working with DVstorm on a dual Xeon machine here.

How is it performing? Please what is your configuration?

thanks a lot
Manuel Albarracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2002, 12:38 PM   #2
RED Code Chef

What do you hope to gain to go from two 1900's to two 2400's?
I doubt it will make a huge difference (not tried myself or anything).
Perhaps more interesting to put money into more harddisk space,
camera acc. , tapes, DVD burner etc.?

Just a thought...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2002, 01:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

lot to gain

Right now I am unhappy with the present system configuration. To name a few irritants.... it is so noisy. Having the fans and the six drives running drives me crazy.
Another reason is it hangs after a while say after an hour or so.
That is why I am inquiring from the experience of Xeon users as to how well the Dvstorm is behaving with their system.
Oh by the way before I upgraded to a dual 1900 MP I use to have a dual P3 1 gig which was so silent compared to the Athlon system. Runs cooler too.
I was hoping that a dual Xeon would run cooler and silently compared to a duallie Athlon.
Old October 23rd, 2002, 05:40 PM   #4
Major Player

Xeon systems are expensive, for the same money next month you'll be abel to geta 3GHz P4! And it will have Hyper-threading (psuedo multi-processing). Does DV Storm take FULL advantage of dual CPUs? Most Dual Xeon MoBos are desigend for servers and are not offering latest AGP and stuff.
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2002, 05:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I guess the DVstorm according to their ads becomes better when you throw in more CPU power behind it. Processing multiple steams or realtime as such.
Expense is no option for me at this time I have been saving for this quite a while.
As for the in board video cards and network cards you can always disable them and put a video card of your choice. I have decided to use the present peripherals from my old computer and just upgrade the mobo and the cpu....plus memory if needed.
By the way if you have tried a dual cpu I guess you do not want to get back to a single.
Old October 24th, 2002, 05:32 PM   #6
Major Player

True, just be careful, some Dual Xeon boards do NOT have an AGP slot as the video is on board and they figure that is all you need for a server. And with dual Xeons you actually get 4 logical CPUs to the OS so if the processor is waiting on somrhting it can shift more horsepower to the other logical CPU.
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2002, 10:16 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I don't know about other configurations, but I have twin Xeon 2.2's in my system...

There's a total of 9 fans in this box. Yes, NINE.

So much wind blowing through that thing, I seldom feel warm air coming from it. Talk about redundancy!

I don't think 'movin on up' is going to make your system any quieter. Of course, I could be wrong.

I am thinking of ways to encase it in a well ventilated, yet baffled box to cut down the noise.

We refer to it as "firing up the blowtorch".

My 2 cents.
Old October 25th, 2002, 10:23 AM   #8
Major Player

couple athlon mp 2000+ loads of ram and harddrive space would blow away any xeons you need, and would be 1/4 of the price. You are flushing money if you are investing in xeons for home use.

kermie
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2002, 01:06 PM   #9
Regular Crew

dual xeon or dual athlon mp

Hi Doug I did not know that you have to install a lot of fans for the Xeon. I heard that they run cooler that the AMD's. I guess your system beats me in the number of fans I got six fans and planning to put more coz it gets hot after a while. I can relate to you as to the noise that it makes. You can heard the fans three rooms down.
As for Kermie I already have dual 1900's with lots of memory as mentioned before. I was just wondering if upgrading it to a Xeon is worth it.
Old October 26th, 2002, 01:32 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Well, Mantral, all those fans weren't my idea.

The company I had build it believes in the virtues of a cool machine!

It really doesn't hurt my feelings... I remember twenty-odd years ago when we kept our computer room cold enough to hang meat.

It's all in redundancy. I am sure the system could work perfectly well with half of those fans failing.

When you shell out that much money for your system, it's nice to know that some relatively inexpensive part failing won't take out some rather expensive components!

My 2 cents.
Old November 9th, 2002, 04:47 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I would suggest you run windows XP on the dual Athlon system.
Just in case you are running Win 2000. XP OS has been known to fix freeze problems.

All fans are NOT created equal. I would suggest investing in some new better and less noisey CPU fans.
Then replace your case fans with the same.
One cheap antec fan can be as loud as three higher end fans.
I have two 2460's I have better fans in one of them and the noise is cut in half.
I also place them on the floor under my bench. This helps cut the noise as well.

If your really convinced about getting a new rig, let me know what you will sell the 2460 with CPU's for.

Regrards,
-Stable working systems motherboard configurations-
Rick O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2002, 05:55 PM   #12
Regular Crew

very informative site

Hi Rick
Thank you for the info and by the way your site is very informative. I have been banging my head everytime the s2460 crashes. I thought that I was doing something wrong or blaming it to the software, hardware or installation errors.
If I have some extra time to fool around with the system I will follow your advice and install a XP OS.
Speaking of fans for the AMD Cpu's and the case fans can you give me a suggestion on which ones. Coz the ones that seems capable enough to cool the Cpu's are the large ones and sounds like a jet engine.
Also I thought that the Cpu's were over heating whenever the system freezes and usually when I am in Premiere.
Old November 9th, 2002, 06:46 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Well, if the only time your box eats it is when you're in Premiere...then it might just be Premiere. Premiere is infamous for crashing and burning.

You might try XP, as Rick suggested. You might perform the Windows 2000 edit performance tweaks found at the Videoguys website (http://www.videoguys.com/Win2K.html) to gain better stability. You might also try more stable edit software like Vegas.

Maybe your instability is the result of a conflicting piece of hardware? Maybe you have a bad stick of RAM?

I know of a couple people running workstations with similar specs and their systems seem to be performing at high levels.

Don't junk your current set-up just yet.
Jason Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2002, 07:55 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Sure,
it has been a while since I was shopping for them but I have the info somewhere on my computer. I'll look later tonight.
Also try running Adobe through some hoops for a while then go into your bios. you can check the temperature of the CPU's in the tyan bios.
Let us know what it is running at.

Cheers, and thanks for the kind words.
Rick O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 08:17 PM   #15
Regular Crew

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/silentcpu.html

Here is the link for High quality and quiet CPU and case fans.
Rick O'Brien is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC