Playback Mystery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 25th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Playback Mystery

Ever since I got back my system back from the Vendor from Hell (they finally replaced the defective Tyan 2460 motherboard with a compatible 2466), the video has played back with dropped frames and frequent lockups. It's a dual Athlon, Matrox Digisuite LX MAX, Adobe Premiere 6.0. I've moved the boards, removed the boards and done about everything to try and make it work (I did find that two of my fans had not been reconnected by the vendor). Clips play back fine in Windows Media, Quicktime, etc. Projects and clips in Premiere skip, stop, no effects (showing unrendered). No system error messages are displayed i.e. conflicted IRQs. But mysteriously, sometimes Digisuite says that the LX and MAX cards are "not accessible" and Premiere sends alerts on the dropped frames (sometimes) but adjustments don't seem to work. Thanks for any help! Everybody here is great!
Ken Schreiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Ken,

You might want to try the Matrox support forums, or contact matrox directly.

Was the machine re-installed from scratch?
What operating system are you using?

You might want to try increasing your paging files to 3 times the amount of physical RAM.

What sort of hardrives are you using, I presume SCSI? where are you capturing to?

To see if your drives are fast enough you can run a speed check through Matrox configuration program. Control Panel> Matrox configuration (colour bars) then select the LX tab and then disk. Select your media drive and then click on start test. then post the results.

I've never been a fan of the Tyan/ AMD setup.

Hope this helps a little.

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 08:20 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I've got the paging file at 1548 (3 times my RAM) and everything else checks OK. The drives are standard EIDE, two partitioned (apps and storage) and two striped (video and DVD/video). I thought it might be an IRQ conflict (there are up to four devices on two IRQs) but the Device Manager says there are no conflicts. Could it be a bad cable? The new motherboard? BIOS?
I've tried the Matrox people. They suggest the same things. This computer has a history of problems that began with poor design and a defective motherboard. There's got to be a simple solution. Thanks Ed.
Ken Schreiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 09:26 AM   #4
Wrangler

Hi Ken,

The Matrox cards tend to share IRQs with certain components, thats usual.

It'll be worth updating the Bios as well as anything else you can think of.

I don't know what format you are editing with, but generally Matrox recommened using SCSI/ SATA disks with the digisuite range. And its normally the disks that cause problems like you are seeing. I'm not saying buy some new disks, as that could be costly, but maybe give it some thought. What resuslts were you getting from the Matrox disk speed check?

Can you please explain again how your disks are configured. i.e. are you using a separate drive for the system/ application files and a separate disk for media. Or is it 1 disk with 2 partitions?

Cheers,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Update

Matrox is interested in my problem again. It appears to be a problem with the LX card, probably fried during one of my three power supply meltdowns.
While DVLine appears to be out of business, my nightmare with them continues. They were a reputable company. It just goes to show how many things can go wrong with these complicated machines. Thanks for your help, Ed!
Ken Schreiner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC