Motherboard Recomendation - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 9th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #76
Inner Circle

With the 865 chipset boards, AiBooster will change speeds on the fly/dynamically. For example, if you put something stupid in there you can get AiBooster to overclock your system too much and crash it while windows is running.
It does not change settings to "catch" when you reboot.

I don't have your particular board, but I don't see why things would be any different. A quick way to check what's happening is to put stupid settings into AiBooster (i.e. 30% overclock... your RAM probably won't like that). Minor warning: Make sure AiBooster won't load up with those settings when your computer reboots. You can always boost into safe mode and get yourself out of that, but you save a little time by preventing it from happening.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 02:29 PM   #77
Major Player

The Ai NOS settings, accessable from the bottom left of the Ai Booster app will do exactly what Glenn says, they will dynamically adjust your OC'ing when under load, but the standart Ai Booster settings along the lower right and far right side of the app work as I described above. I personally do no use the Ai NOS dynamic adjustment app...it seems like it would be slightly less stable, just on gut instinct.
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #78
Regular Crew

I think I'm going to uninstall Ai NOS and just do the 10% profile in the Bio's. Everything seem's to be working ok the only thing I'm still having a little problem with is the WiFi adapter. I will be sitting here and I will lose the connection for a minute and then it come's back. I have a Linksys Wireless g and this computer is only 10 feet from it.I'm new to wireless so I'm not sure if this is the norm. I asked a guy at best Buy the other day and he told me it shouldn't be doing that so I don't know all I know is those pop up message's at the bottom right drive's me nuts when they come up and go off all the time so I have to figure this out or I'm just going to run a wire. Thank's again all for the help.

Chad
Chad Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #79
Trustee

Chad,

Did you check the Asus support site for anything they might have on your WiFi problem?

http://support.asus.com/
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 06:04 PM   #80
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Solo
I think I'm going to uninstall Ai NOS and just do the 10% profile in the Bio's.

Thats exactly what I did. As far as wireless goes, I've never tried it and know nothing at all! If you want to be able to read the temp after getting rid of NOS/Booster, you can use ASUS Probe.
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #81
Regular Crew

Hello all,
Well the system has been working pretty good but sometimes I'm notice it being sluggish with Photoshop and when I'm rendering so I notice the cpu temp going up to 68 when I'm rendering so I figure I would buy a better heat sink so I was thinking on getting a ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan it's seems pretty good so I was wondering what you all think or do you have a better one that will work with my system. Thank's again all for the help.

Chad
Chad Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 10:44 AM   #82
Inner Circle

The better heatsink won't really help you unless your processor is doing thermal throttling. If the processor gets too hot, it will slow itself to 50% to cool itself off. I doubt it's happening on your system... although a 10% overclock might push it in the thermal throttling range.

I think Pentiums will do it at 75C for Prescott processors.

2- Photoshop sluggishness- typically this is due to not enough RAM / pagefile usage. TO check, hit
crtl alt del
click on performance tab
look at PF usage meter
Close Photoshop and look at the difference. If it drops significantly, you probably have high pagefile usage.

Pagefile is Windows using your hard drive as RAM. Your hard drive is many times slower than RAM (something like 60 times), which would explain big performance drops. Fix it by adding more RAM or lowering the amount of RAM your system uses.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC