Cheap minidv cameras for decks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 13th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #1
Tourist

Cheap minidv cameras for decks

I just bought a DVX100a and I would rather not use it to capture and I don't have $900 to pay for a dv deck, so I was thinking of buying a cheap minidv camera to act as a deck. So I was just wondering if the quality will suffer when using a cheap camera as opposed to my dvx100a or a high quality deck? Anybody have any experiences using cheap cameras to capture?

Thanks
Matt Qualls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 02:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Will quality suffer? No.

Lots of people here use cheap cameras to capture. I'd probably get something like an Optura 20 or Panasonic GS70/120/150. Top loading, analog-digital passthrough (if I remember correctly), great bang for the buck in terms of image quality if you need a second camera.
There are some new Optura 20s on eBay for around $400 (although eBay can be sketchy sometimes; know what you're doing).

2- AN old Samsung camera I had (SCD55 I think) was fairly unresponsive to deck control (the computer program controlling the camera). It was a pain. I'd avoid Samsung anyways, because their cameras aren't all that great. Presumably their new cameras will have decent deck control?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:05 PM   #3
Major Player

DVC80 user

Matt,

I shoot with a DVC80 and use my old PV-DV100 as a capture/export deck. No problems at all, but a dedicated deck will rewind and fast-forward more quickly then a camcorder. Also, you can't scrub on a camcorder, but that's not a day-to-day need I have anyway. Find a broken camcorder with dead optics on eBay for $100, and your DVX can rest in its case when not shooting.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC