Time lag with Matrox RT100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 14th, 2005, 07:00 AM   #1
Tourist

Time lag with Matrox RT100

New to this forum so apologies if this has been answered elesewhere.

I've recently installed a Matrox RT100 into my Premiere Pro 1.5.1 system.

The issue I'm experiencing is one of delay when capturing from my DHR1000 DV deck. There is often a delay of a couple of seconds from when I hit the record button to when the system actually starts digitising.

Is this a perfectly normal result of running the Matrox and Prem Pro? Or is there a better way of configuring my devices to reduce or eliminate this problem. I tend not to capture large amounts of footage but prefer to shift through rushes and take shots individually so repeatedly coming up against this issue is becoming slightly annoying.

I'm running a Pentium 4 3.4GHz processor and 3Gig of RAM

Many thanks in advance.
Philip Tuppin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2005, 07:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

are u using the firewire port on the RTx?
if not, make sure u use it.. as all capturing is done using the matrox hardware encoder.

have u tried another camera??
i have only seen this happen but its usually the camera model, or the fact its not connected into the RTx
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2005, 09:08 AM   #3
Tourist

I am going in via Firewire.

The DHR1000 is a DV deck and not a camera and it's been around for a few years. However, my partner is using the same setup and plays in from a PD150 - he still experiences this time lag.

Could it be a timecode issue? Something to do with the stop/start nature of the filming we undertake?
Philip Tuppin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2005, 11:24 PM   #4
Inner Circle

no... as for firewire, are u using the port ON THE MATROX CARD???

as for the lag, u can expect 2 to 3 seconds latency from the cam vs the pc.. but there shoudlnt be any loss of data irrespective of what type of deck u use..

have u eever captured footage before?? What did u use??
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:20 AM   #5
Major Player

F5 then G in premiere. There has always been a lag referred to as pre-roll. This gets the cam up to speed. If you like to slice and dice as you capture, perhaps logging will help. This does mean 2 tape passes. The scene detect feature in PPro is quite good which will eliminate the need for the start stop nature of your captures. Just make note of the clips to be tossed as Premiere merrily captures away creating many avis as it goes.
As for the delay, this has always been present on my system that has gone from a hardware based to software realtime nle. Listening to capture desktop screen through the sound card is always out of step with the firewire device. Not out of sync., just out of step. Not a bad thing.
Related but not relevant: I have now been free from my realtime board for over a year. What a simple transition and no extra load on the mainboard. Faster previews with the software rendering.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

one trick i learned after many recaptures, is to pause right where you want to start capturing (or even typing the time-code in the bottom left of the capture pane)...hit the (G) key and PPro will start to capture from that point, bringing the camera to speed automatically.
AJ Silverman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC