4:3 aspect ratio on hdtv at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 16th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

4:3 aspect ratio on hdtv

I want to use a 17 " hdtv to view my output of my edited video. I am currently using a 13 inch tv . I am using 4:3 aspect ratio 720x480. How would this view on a hdtv 17"? would it be stretched? I want to lighten the load and space on my desk. Plus I am getting a good deal on it. I just was wondering about this set up.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:32 PM   #2
Wrangler

Widescreen TV's have a button (or menu function) to choose how to display the video signal. The options have different names on different brands, but basically you can choose from:

1. full screen - stretches the image to fill the 16:9 frame, regardless of original format

2. 4:3 - displays the image in a 4:3 aspect ratio with black bars to the left and right (sometimes called "pillarboxing")

3. zoom - magnifies the image so that its center fills the 16:9 screen. This has the effect of filling the screen with a letterboxed 16:9 image. If used with a regular 4:3 image it chops off the top and bottom.

5. smart - like full screen but proportional. The image is stretched to fill the whole 16:9 screen, but the sides are stretched more than the center. Supposed to be a compromise for fitting a 4:3 image on your wide screen, but in reality it makes everyone look short and fat.

Anyway, if you're working with 4:3 material you would just choose 4:3 mode. People with Plasma screens aren't too fond of this because you can burn in the center part of your screen over time. The newer sets are supposed to be much better. LCD screens shouldn't have an issue like this.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC