Person walking @ normal speed, crowd walking at mach10 speed?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 20th, 2002, 09:52 PM   #1
snafu005

Person walking @ normal speed, crowd walking at mach10 speed??

I was wondering how I can have a video of 1 person walking at normal speed, but have EVERYONE else even the cars at warp speed? Having the subject walk REALLY slowly while filming.. is this the only way?

and what is the best way to have a blur sort of effect behind the mach 10 sped up crowd?

TIA:-)
Old October 20th, 2002, 10:01 PM   #2
Trustee

There's a number of way you can do this but the one I like the is to shoot the first shot of the person walking at normal speed. Then shoot the same scene again without the walker but with the cars and other people. Shoot the second scene at a slow shutter speed, like 1/12 (or 1/15 for NTSC). You'll have to adjust your F-stop to maintain constant exposure between the two shots.

In post lay your walker clip on the timeline as it is. Create a track ABOVE this one and lay the blurred clip down at 50% transperency (You may have to change this to suit your clips).

The effect produced is a dreamy kinda look that looks best if the walker is in slo-mo.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2002, 10:21 PM   #3
snafu005

hmmm
if I do it your way the person walking would look sort of ghost like correct?

thanks for the suggestion, I think I'd rather go for a non ghost like look hehe

:-)
Old October 21st, 2002, 03:04 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The double exposure version also only works with a fixed camera unless you have a very expensive motion control rig for the camera.

To have people interact (ie. avoid) the person you are filming you can either use a dummy (so they have to avoid something ) and shoot the subject against a bluescreen (still, fixed camera or you have to use a MCR or some hardcore tracking :)

But still, at the end of the day, the easiest way is to tell the person to move very slowly. (Orbital music video comes into mind)

/Henrik
Henrik Bengtsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2002, 07:20 AM   #5

Actually, this is very easy to do with Vegas Video. As described, produce two clips, one with the person walking slowly, another of the frenetic people walking. It would help a great deal to have the single person walk while having a green screen following behind him, however, this may not be possible. At worst, this person should walk in front of a continuous, non mottled background. By chroma-keying this person and using composite tracks, the slow person can be overlayed on the fast moving crowd.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2002, 08:27 AM   #6
Regular Crew

If you do not track the two camera movements (or hide the feet of the walking person) very carefully you will end up with a sliding mooonwalk effect on the foreground walking layer. Only way to avoid this (as i mentioned earlier) is either to have a fixed camera, a expensive motion controlled rig or by tracking the camera movement very carefully.

/Henrik
Henrik Bengtsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2002, 08:50 AM   #7

ahhh, indeed.....unless you don't pan the cameras. IE, frame the shot such that the FOV is wide enough to not pan.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2002, 09:56 PM   #8
snafu005

thanks for all the input guys!!! I will let u all know how it turns out!! =-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC