Video RAM and NLE Editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 22nd, 2005, 04:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Video RAM and NLE Editing

Hello Guys :-)

I have several video cards and several different workstations. I am rebuilding my NLEs and Graphics workstations and have the opportunity to shuffle my video cards around.

It is my belief that the graphics card plays a much smaller role in NLE than in graphics work, so it stands to reason to take the better video card out of the NLE and put it into the graphics workstation.

What are your views ??

BTW I have a Matrox RT100, Canopus Storm, PPro with no DV accelerator, and my graphics workstations have 3D StudioMAX, AE and other complex graphics programs.

Thanks !!
Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:23 PM   #2
Trustee

It would be wise to use your more powerful graphics cards on you graphics workstation. That said, make sure the graphics cards you would put into your Matrox/Canopus systems in exchange are certified to work with those video editing cards. If you use a non-certified graphics card with in conjunction with those editing cards you're only setting yourself up for headaches.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 09:44 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lefchik
It would be wise to use your more powerful graphics cards on you graphics workstation. That said, make sure the graphics cards you would put into your Matrox/Canopus systems in exchange are certified to work with those video editing cards. If you use a non-certified graphics card with in conjunction with those editing cards you're only setting yourself up for headaches.
Good Point!

Actually, I will leave the Matrox machine as is, it has a perfectly mached 128Mb FX5200 card in there and it works great.

Thanks !!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC