lost in NLE world. help - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 27th, 2002, 10:53 AM   #16
New Boot

Vegas also provides an acedemic discount for students and teachers. About 150 - 175 dollar range. Also, although you can't use After Effects directly with Vegas. You can transfer material from one to the other without problem. This is not my personal experience, but I have read many threads where this is being done.
magicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2002, 06:05 PM   #17
Major Player

thanks. i'll start looking into it. chances are i'll be posting questions here again soon. thanks.
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2002, 07:23 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Yep, you can pick up Xpress DV 3.5 for $300/US from Videoguys right now with a student ID.
Jason Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2002, 02:01 PM   #19
Major Player

$300!!!? AVID DV XPRESS 3.5??? ARE YOU SURE? i checked out their site. couldn't find any deal on this product under four digits. where did you see this?
Old November 5th, 2002, 08:12 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Normally, it sells for $399 but they're running a special.

Call them up and ask to speak with the academic sells guy. I think his name is Dan.

You can also get After Effects for around $300.

Luck,

Jason
Jason Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2002, 02:35 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Actually, it normally sells for $499 and it is now $100 off that, or $399. You need to be aware though, that the educational version is not to be used for commercial ventures, and that it doesn't come with all the software that the retail version does. I use this software and Premiere 6, and for me nyway, Premiere has an easier learning curve. That may also be because I used Premiere and similar software first, and Avid is a different concept. Here is the link to the Videoguys section that has the educational software:
http://www.specialtyvideosupply.com/prodpage/avid.html.

Hope this helps.
Old November 7th, 2002, 03:35 AM   #22
Major Player

hi jeff. i was thinking of a set up similar to yours - avid AND premiere. would that require a double boot system?
Old November 7th, 2002, 08:22 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Yes, it would. Avid has real problems with Premiere on the same drive. Avid definitely recommends that you not install both on the same operating system. I am actually running two separate systems, but I am going to have Avid and Premiere on my notebook as a dual boot. One of the things I like about Avid is that you can legally install it on more than one system because you have to have the dongle to use it, so it can't be used on more than one system at a time. Another thing I really like about it is that it has a fully customizable interface,so that you can change colors, toolbars, etc. to suit your own tastes. And, if there is more than one person using the system, each user can customize their own settings. I think if you can afford it you might want to set up a dual system, that way you have options.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC